cleaning keg rubber off a shower floor, HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discmann131

Reaction score
I have this problem and have tried quite a few things to fix it and was wondering if anyone else might have found a way to take care of it first.

I have been using my show tub for cleaning and other brew related chores ever since we installed it. Unfortunately a little keg rubber had transferred to the fiberglass shower floor and I am having a ***** of a time removing it. My girlfriend is anxious to say the least to get it cleaned up as we bought teak patio tiles to put down in he tub to see to it that this didn't happen any more.

What would you suggest to get that pesky keg rubber off? Have you had this problem? Did you suggestion work?

I moved into a house once that had some sort of stain on the shower floor that wouldn't come up with damn near anything I threw at it. Scrubbing bubbles, oxi, nothing.

Then on a frustrated whim, I coated the floorpan with a spay oven cleaner and let it set for 2-3 hours. EVERYTHING came right up. Not the most environmentally friendly, but it looked brand new afterward, and didn't seem to damage the surface. Tried that?

I moved into a house once that had some sort of stain on the shower floor that wouldn't come up with damn near anything I threw at it. Scrubbing bubbles, oxi, nothing.

Then on a frustrated whim, I coated the floorpan with a spay oven cleaner and let it set for 2-3 hours. EVERYTHING came right up. Not the most environmentally friendly, but it looked brand new afterward, and didn't seem to damage the surface. Tried that?

Be careful!!! That's LYE. Easily burns a LOT of stuff including your hands.

MC

OH MY GOD, freakin' Magic Eraser worked. I seriously don't believe I hadn't tried that before. Not having kids, it doesn't really occur to me to use those things.

I'm probably gonna need a whole box because the textured floor isn't exactly kind to them but I'll pay for that over a new shower pan!

Thanks a lot folks. Much appreciated!

OH MY GOD, freakin' Magic Eraser worked. I seriously don't believe I hadn't tried that before. Not having kids, it doesn't really occur to me to use those things.

I'm probably gonna need a whole box because the textured floor isn't exactly kind to them but I'll pay for that over a new shower pan!

Thanks a lot folks. Much appreciated!

Yeah those things seriously are magic

"power purple" from walmart is amazing stuff.

Magic eraser is good too. I would try the oven cleaner as a last resort.

As a side note, if you are still rocking one of the white plastic macbooks, you can make it look like new with a magic eraser :rockin:

You can reduce the marking from the keg rubber by cleaning and then treating it.

I am just getting started but i don't like black marks in my utility sink either.

First, use a detergent and a not-very-aggressive scrubbing implement (plastic scouring pad, etc) to clean the excess loose corroded rubber off the bottom. I used simple green and a 3m "dobie" pad. Don't scrub hard, just until the scrubber stops coming away saturated with rubber. You'll have to use your own judgement as to when you should stop, but my guess is that as long as you scrub, some rubber will come off. But after a couple minutes it's a lot less rubber than when you started.

Rinse it, let it air dry, and then coat it with any of the numerous tire brightener products at the auto parts store. I used "Wet" brand "tire shine" because it's not in an aerosol can. Others have used other products. They are probably all roughly the same stuff.

The rubber treatment then has to cure. I left mine standing for a day and then gave them a quick wash (w/o scrubbing) to remove the excess. Since we're getting toward summer, leaving them in warm sunlight will probably hasten the curing process.

The two kegs i treated that way don't mark anymore. Now i have to treat the other 9 kegs.

TimpanogosSlim said:
You can reduce the marking from the keg rubber by cleaning and then treating it.

I am just getting started but i don't like black marks in my utility sink either.

First, use a detergent and a not-very-aggressive scrubbing implement (plastic scouring pad, etc) to clean the excess loose corroded rubber off the bottom. I used simple green and a 3m "dobie" pad. Don't scrub hard, just until the scrubber stops coming away saturated with rubber. You'll have to use your own judgement as to when you should stop, but my guess is that as long as you scrub, some rubber will come off. But after a couple minutes it's a lot less rubber than when you started.

Rinse it, let it air dry, and then coat it with any of the numerous tire brightener products at the auto parts store. I used "Wet" brand "tire shine" because it's not in an aerosol can. Others have used other products. They are probably all roughly the same stuff.

The rubber treatment then has to cure. I left mine standing for a day and then gave them a quick wash (w/o scrubbing) to remove the excess. Since we're getting toward summer, leaving them in warm sunlight will probably hasten the curing process.

The two kegs i treated that way don't mark anymore. Now i have to treat the other 9 kegs.

Good tip, thanks.

Back