reusing yeast right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
I got my 1098 yeast still sealed up in my primary frementor.

I'm looking at brewing this weekend.

Would it be cool to just harvest it and use it right away?

I got 20 test tubes with lids for yeast, just need glicerine and alc lamp, where would I buy the alc lamp for it?
Also how do you tell how much yeast to use? I hear to little or to much is bad.

Some people will pitch their cooled wort right on top of the yeast cake.

I like to save off half for future use so I swirl it with a pint or two of boiled-cooled water and swish it into two empty sterile containers.

One I 'll use for the upcoming brew, the other I'll "wash" and store in a sterile beer bottle.

If you pitch right on top of the yeast cake, be prepared for some substantial blow off (use a blow off tube).

wanted to wash it 1st so my next batch does not taste like previous beer that was in the fermentor.

Raffie said:
wanted to wash it 1st so my next batch does not taste like previous beer that was in the fermentor.
In that case, get a larger container and wash it all at once. Then split it up for current and future use.

I like these guys for handling yeast washing and starters....

YeastStarters_1.JPG

How do you "wash" yeast? So if you want to save you yeast. You boil some water and swish it around in there and throw into some sanitary growlers or what not. Then do you add some dme and some water to it. Also do you heat it up or what. Sorry not sure how to reuse yeast. Thanx for the info.

How do you "wash" yeast? So if you want to save you yeast. You boil some water and swish it around in there and throw into some sanitary growlers or what not. Then do you add some dme and some water to it. Also do you heat it up or what. Sorry not sure how to reuse yeast. Thanx for the info.

There is a great topic at the top of General Techniques (the section this thread is in) on washing yeast:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I have used this method successfully and was impressed at how easy it is! There is a lot of good information here to help your brew day, often the stickies at the top of the sections are a great place to start.

Back