Seeking simple Cider recipe for bottling, semi-sweet, drinkable by Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to make my first cider. I have a contact at a local apple farm that will sell unpasteurized cider.

Here is what I am looking for (if possible):

1. Relatively simple recipe, no adjuncts except for sweetening. I have all the equipment I need for probably any process required.

2. Would like to consume a decent product by Christmas.

3. Needs to be bottle-friendly (cannot tie up a keg for this recipe).

4. Cider is unpasteurized. Am willing to pasteurize or use Camden tablets if it will not adversely alter flavor.

5. Would like it carbonated. Not be bone dry but not Woodchuck Amber sweet.

6. 5 gallon recipe

7. Do not want to sweeten after pour.

Is there a way to measure out enough fermentable sugar to sweeten and carbonate reliably without making bottle bombs, then stove top pasteurize?
Maybe use a mead yeast with less attenuation then prime with sugar?

Thanks very much..I know there is a recipe for me out there, somewhere, thanks for the stickies too. Just wondering if there is a process available to the homebrewer that backsweetens and carbonates safely and reliably..

Monte, I used the recipe that Pappers gave me in the post "Cider House Rules". It is excellent. I started on 9/5/10 and was taking it to a party by the end of September. Opened a bottle each night this week and it is even better now than it was then. Great clean, crisp taste. Awesome bubble action and head, pourablity is first rate and the carbonation is fantastic. I did back sweeten it a bit more than he did but that is just personal preference.

It was suppose to be for a X-mas gift but at this rate it will be gone by Halloween. I need to make a bigger batch soon or I won't have any to give away as gifts. :)

I agree that there are tons of good recipes in the stickies.....

My own quickie recipe is fruit stand fresh pressed cider + apple juice concentrate to reach your target OG.....

1 campden tablet per gallon of must

Pectic enzyme is up to you.... Most people use it if pasteurizing so they don't get pectin haze....

Nottingham yeast

Let it ferment out till you agree with the hydrometer that it tastes right, rack, cold crash, rack into bottles and pasteurize....

It comes out carbonated, but not powerfully carbonated.....

Lots of people here prefer bottle priming and letting it run a week or 2 in bottles, then tasting to see if it is ready to pasteurize... When it tastes right - into the pot it goes...

Timing wise.. you have plenty of time if you start this weekend.....
1-2 weeks fermentation
1-4 weeks in the bottle.....
That's 2-weeks before Christmas...

Thanks

John

Back