Fruit in the secondary Ferm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I am at the LHBS and I hear two guys debating weather or not its ok to put raw fruit in the secondary ferm. This goes on for about twenty mins and gathers about 5 more people so now there is 7 of them all in hot debate. It was really interesting to see and hear everyone's answers and reasons. The main reason for the whole debate was centered around putting 2-1/2 whole pineapples into 5 gals. of one of the guys Hefs, he was about to transfer into the secondary. From there it went into putting it into a corny and a whole new debate. So I bring to you three questions to see what everyone here thinks.... The whole pineapple thing really got me to thinking.

1). What does everyone think about raw fruit in the secondary? (Meaning just peel and dump, no cooking)

2). Has anyone ever used pineapple? (What are some of the concerns, do's and don'ts)

3). Can the same thing be done in a corny keg during conditioning and carbonation or will the pressure and Co2 affect it in any way?

Ok, Discuss !

:D

I made the choice (mistake) of picking up a pre-cut watermelon half from the grocery, and I ran it through a sanitized juicer (got about 1/2 gallon).. I put that in the secondary of a Bavarian Hefe that was 1.052->1.025 (when final was supposed to be 1.014) and the yeast went to town again, quite actively. Its been there for two weeks (keg tomorrow) and that puppy is SOUR/SUPER TART... Now, that maybe an artifact of the type of fruit, or the amount that I used, or a lacto infection from a melon cut open in the store and exposed to cooties in the produce department... So take it for what you will.

Ive had a really tasty pineapple wheat before.. I would think to beware of the acidity of the pineapple however.

I know you said raw no cooking. This is what I did though to a cream ale. I boiled about 3lbs of strawberries and 1lb of blueberries. I put all the fruit and juice in the secondary. It turned out okay. It took a while to mellow out. But it is a very drinkable beer.

I have done 2# of fresh raspberries in secondary. Just rince, freeze, thaw, throw em in the carboy, and rack on top of them and leave it for a week.

after about 5 days they were white and sank. no infection (it was already 7%ABV) and it turned out awesome!

Back