Wheat and IPA Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieB

Reaction score
I have two brews fermenting right now. One, the IPA, is in the secondary and has been for a week and a half. Its still bubbling every oncein a while. what is a safe ammount of time to leave it in there before bottling because i didn't take a hydrometer reading.

The Wheat beer is almost done fermenting and is in the primary. do i need a secondary or can i just bottle it after its first fermentation?

As with any beer take a gravity reading. If it has dropped approximately 75% then it's ready to bottle.

Not that it's necessarily ready to drink, but bottling is OK. :D

As for a secondary, their purpose is for clearing. If you want your wheat beer clear, or at least more clear than what it is right now you should allow it to sit in the secondary a couple of weeks for that.

Look at a secondary this way: any yeast that falls out during the secondary stage will not be in your bottles. :D

and wheat beers should have yeast in suspension, so no...don't rack the wheat to secondary if you want it true to style ;)

not taking an original gravity isn't a problem. you can get your estimated OG from your recipe, if you use extract it's usually spot on. just post your recipe and someone can figure it out for you. the only way you can know for sure is by taking a reading. there is no amount of time that is standard because every brew is different.

Latest posts

Back