Add hops for 0 mins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtschap

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brewed my second batch, a Dale's Pale Ale clone from AHS. It came with 3 or 4 different types of hops, one of which was 2oz. of Cascade I believe. The directions said to add 1oz. for the last 0 mins. of the boil. Huh? Can someone explain this to me?

Since I had no idea what that meant, I just kept all the Cascade hops to use for dry hopping.

it's called flame-out hops. You add them when you cut the heat just before you chill your wort. They are for aroma mostly.

+1 they are for aroma mostly but the hot wort steeps them allowing for a slightly different effect then dry hopping.

I like you didn't have a clue on when to add them. I added them 30 seconds before I shut the burner off. I felt that it should have boiled for a few seconds. Hopefully I didn't mess it up.

Keep in mind, there are "Flameout" additions and there are "Whirlpool" additions. Some people will say they are the same thing, but I like to distinguish them for what they actually are. Both are "Post-Boil" hop additions. But flameout hops are added when the flame is turned off. I never add flameout additions. But I frequently add whirlpool additions when the wort is approx. 150 F or less. I do this because I feel that a 1 minute addition (and maybe even a 5 minute addition) is no different from a flameout addition. Both are added to +200 F wort, and those delicate hop oils are burned off, so you lose much of the aroma you were expecting to achieve. So it makes no sense to me to ever add a flameout addition to an IPA. Rather, I utilize a long hop stand with my whirlpool addition in "warm", not hot or cold wort.

Latest posts

Back