Honey question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I read a post earlier about priming with honey, well my question is about adding honey to my wort.
Can add honey to my recipe to add fermetable sugar to it to raise the alcohol content? If so what kind? and I guess the amount depends on my recipe to begin with, but is there some sort of basic formula or something that i coould start with?
I read that it really doesnt add too much of a honey flavor which what im after. Maybe just a hint of it. Oh yeah when would be a good time to add it to the wort? would I just add it when I add my Malt extract?

Thanks for the help

BMW-LDB

Honey WILL add fermentable sugar to your wort. You can boil it anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes with good results. I use 2 pounds of clover honey in my grand cru and it's really tasty. The whole "how much" thing depends on the recipe.

3.3 lbs. Light LME
3.3 lbs. Amber LME
1 lbs. Pale english 2 row (steep)
2 oz. Kent Goldings
.5 willamette fuggles finishing

Thats my recipe I made it once and liked it. So thought Id play a little and try some honey to add alcohol and maybe a bit of a flavor.

Let me know what you think?
Thanks Rage

BMW-LDB

Honey will add alcohol content as well as a dry finish. To boil or not to boil, that is the question. Some say boiling will take away from the flavor, Ive never boiled it myself. I usually dissolve in hot water then let it cool, and add to primary when I top off before pitching yeast

I've used honey in two different recipes now. I add it in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

As far as taste......you get honey FLAVOR with grains (honey malts). You'll get a honey AFTERTASTE from honey. I'd think that 2 lbs of honey in a brew like that would lend a significant aftertaste. Ever had mead? Think of that flavor....sort of.

:off:
Did you know pure honey is a substance in which bacteria can not live? I forget the specifics, but it has something to do with the absolute lack of water and high sugar concentration.

:mug: (Drinking a honey brown as I type!)

Back