Looking for a holiday brew recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
I'm looking for an extract with grains holiday brew recipe, maybe something with vanilla or other spices (not a pumpkin ale!) that I can brew in a week or so but that'll be ready and tasty around thanksgiving so it can mellow and be tasty!!!

If you have the New Complete Joy of Homebrewing (or can get your hands on it), try the Holiday Cheer recipe. I've made it a couple times (tossed in a vanilla bean or two, not in the recipe) and it turned out great.

I typically make some kind of porter for the holidays. Last year I made a Chocolate Raspberry Porter. This year I will be trying my hand at some cider for Thankgiving, then making a porter for Christmas, maybe with some chocolate, but no fruit this year.

Mutilated1 said:
I'm going to be making a Holiday Ale called "Santa's Dilema", planning on making it Sept 1.

Recipe is here:
http://www.cascadiabrew.com/recipe_database.asp?RecipeID=25

I had a homebrew beer by this name once before and I really liked it a lot, but I honestly have no idea if this is the same recipe or what.

Hmm, this recipe sounds pretty good. I may have to try this out myself. :D

3 lb light DME
3 lb. amber dme
.5 lb crystal 75
.5 lb. caravienne
1 oz hallertau 60 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
2 oz sweet orange peel in last 10 min of boil (flameout, maybe?)
.5 lb honey flameout
2 cinnamon sticks flameout
(not sure when I'm going to add the rest of this stuff:
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg (or allspice)
4 tsp vanilla
neutral dry yeast

Mutilated1 said:
I'm going to be making a Holiday Ale called "Santa's Dilema", planning on making it Sept 1.

Recipe is here:
http://www.cascadiabrew.com/recipe_database.asp?RecipeID=25

I had a homebrew beer by this name once before and I really liked it a lot, but I honestly have no idea if this is the same recipe or what.

Hey Mutilated1, have you gotten together the ingredients for this yet? I don't foresee a problem getting the ingredients except the Ultra Hops. Neither Midwest nor Northern Brewer appears to carry this variety. Do you happen to know of a reliable source?

EDIT: Hmm, I found another version of the recipe that calls out for 1oz of Hallertau instead, guess I'll just go with that. :)

I'm not into the "flavoured" beers so I made a smoked stout PM recipe for the holidays. I just kegged it and it's gonna sit in the cold box until Turkey day. That's when I plan on unveiling it. The sample I took for FG reading was pretty good, though a little harsh...

I made a holiday brew like this:
I used a standard amber ale extract kit, then added fresh organic spices (orange peel, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves). It's probably not important that they be organic except for the orange peel, which tends to hold any chemicals applied to the plant. If you use cloves, use very little. Otherwise it is too strong and overtakes the other flavors and they aren't even detectable. I just opened my first one today after 2 weeks in the bottle just to make sure that it is drinkable. It is very good. Has a wholesome feel to it. I'm going to close the case though and not open it until Thanksgiving so it has time to mellow.

I would not use the orange peel sold at LHBS. I have and didn't like it. Others on here have posted better results using fresh orange peel.

Back