Old American Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
When you read a bit about the history of brewing, you often see accounts of how American breweries made much different products prior to Prohibition than the light BMC stuff they have been making for the past 60 years or so.

Maybe I haven't really looked hard enough, but does anyone try to brew any of those older styles?

If so, any recipes?

I just watched a history channel special on beer (if that doesn't make you want a beer you don't have a heart beat). This is off topic but one of the reasons that the big breweries watered down there beer so much after prohibition is because the cost of supplies went up and they figured that if they made beer "more drinkable" (i.e. fizzy urine water) that more women would drink it. I remind my friends about this everytime they bring home Budlight (it hurts just to admit there might be some in my fridge right now).

Back