jamils chocolate hazelnut porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95747brewer

Reaction score
I just through a batch of this into the keg today, added half the hazelnut and tested it a couple hours later. Its a little hard to tell for sure as it is still a little warm and no carbonation, but the hazelnut seems way too potent. Almost ruin my beer potent. Anybody have a take on this recipe? Maybe it will mellow out when carbonated or aged a little? Or is this a recipe that just doesnt go well with a lot of drinkers? I've loved all my other porters so far and I am not a BMC drinker.

i would wait until its properly carbed and temped before deciding. i've had flavors dissapear once the beer was at serving temps and carbed. if still potent, it should mellow with age... not sure how much though ?

I just tried it again today, and sorry to Jamil, the flavor did mellow out nicely. I am very happy with the brew now. It does tast like Christmas though, would have been much better if I brewed it about a month earlier when Chirstmas magic was still in the air.

I didn't do Jamils particular recipe, but I brewed a hazelnut brown ale several months ago and I didn't like it much at first either. It was wayyyy too much hazelnut flavor, masked everything else. And I only used half the amount they recommended. However, after 3-4 months, it did mellow out and is now much more of a background flavor. Still don't know if I'll do it again though. i'll probably just stick to normal brown ales from now on.

Latest posts

Back