Lager malt? 2row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Looking at a clone book right now (North American Clone Brews) and one thing I'm not really liking is the fact that the recipes are listed as:

mostly, Pale Malt. But there are many as (x many lbs) Lager Malt. Then for other ones, Pilsner Malt.

Can anyone clarify for me, please? I've never seen "Lager Malt" as part of a grain bill.

I've heard from a couple guys it could simply be "Pilsener" or "Vienna" or "Munich."

I just thought for RECIPES, it would be a little more clear, as those are all different types and if you're just saying "lager malt" or "2 row" that leaves a lot of latitude...

Thanks.
-J

They are all base malts, but I believe they mean Pilsner malt when they suggest lager malt. Every recipe has different names for ingredients based upon what they bought it as.

I think some companies produce a product they call "lager malt". I have no idea if thats 2 or 6 row. Typically pilsner malt is kilned less than regular 2 row. Unless you are trying to exactly clone a beer, I would think you could sub Pilsner and Lager Malt for any recipe.

I always like to point out that a recipe is only a written account of the ingredients and processes the last brewer used. As long as you dont make any crazy substitutions (like munich malt for Pilsner malt, roasted barley for chocolate malt etc, C120 for C40 etc), your beer should turn out very close and tasty.

Thanks, folks. Since I'm in Canada, thought it might be some U.S. style malt. (shrug)
But I figured, at least, Pils malt because after all, it is a lager.

I was just reading up on the lager malt and it adds very little color, which makes it good for pale brews, and it adds body.

I was looking at it to see if it would help with the diacetyl rest. Maybe it could produce less diacetyl? It doesn't seem to. It is just pale malt with some body.

Back