Reducing attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I have an all-grain version of All-Amarillo IPA that I just kegged.

I brewed the extract version (as listed in the recipe section) previously, and the extract version had a noticeable bit more residual sweetness than the all-grain version does.

The all-grain version is good, but it needs to be a little sweeter. If I could get it to be just like the extract version was, I'd be very happy.

The extract version's OG was 1.062 and the FG was 1.018. It was perfect.

The all-grain version's OG was 1.062 and the FG was 1.013. It's a little drier than I wanted it to be.

I used the same yeast for both batches (yeast from Bell's Two-Hearted ale), and fermented at the same temperature (between 66F and 68F).

I'm making an educated guess that the difference in the two batches is just that my all-grain wort was more fermentable than the wort from the extract batch was.

In the extract batch, I used 7 pounds of Munton's extra light DME (for a 5 gallon batch).

In the all-grain batch, I used 13 pounds of Briess American 2-row pale malt (for a 6 gallon batch) in place of the extract. I mashed at 152F for an hour. No mash out.

What can I do to get the attenuation level of the next all-grain batch down to the same as the extract batch? My thinking is that I should mash at 155F or so instead of 152F. Is that enough of a difference in mash temperature to keep the FG at around 1.018? Or should I try a different tactic altogether?

Thanks for that. I didn't consider that parameter.

I sparged at what BeerSmith recommended (168F).

Back