Still Use Cones with Downy Mildew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan83865

Reaction score
So I wasn't able to find a specific answer to this question as I searched the Internet so I'm hoping some experienced growers can help me out. I harvested the majority of my cones yesterday and there definitely are some cones with signs of downy mildew. Any reason why I shouldn't use these cones in my beer? They still have lupulin, so is it more of a cosmetic issue at this point or is there something I'm missing? Thanks for the advice!

From what i understand you're correct its just cosmetic. The hops flavor comes from the lupulin not the leaves.

Maybe someone else has other information?

The alpha acids (bitter) comes from the lupulin. The flavor (oils and such) comes from the lupulin and the leaves.

Can you use them? Sure, but not if there is significant amounts. Some of the farms in the PNW will but they will use them for CO2 extraction of the alphas and toss the rest of the cone so those problems don't matter.

Make a tea of the hops, taste it and decide if you want that flavor in your beer.

The alpha acids (bitter) comes from the lupulin. The flavor (oils and such) comes from the lupulin and the leaves.

Can you use them? Sure, but not if there is significant amounts. Some of the farms in the PNW will but they will use them for CO2 extraction of the alphas and toss the rest of the cone so those problems don't matter.

Make a tea of the hops, taste it and decide if you want that flavor in your beer.

Thanks Dan. I'll try making the tea. Either way, can you clarify "not if there is significant amounts?" I took a picture of one level of my oast--based on that, would you say that the amount of mildew/browning is signficiant? Just curious if this is out of the ordinary or if it is more typical. Thanks!

IMG_0917.jpg

Back