Saison with Honey, original recipe seeking feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smokinj said:
Glad to hear it turned out well! Did you end up adding brett to any?

I did no more additions. I dont think it needs it. A few more weeks in the bottle and I think it'll be fantastic.

This looks awesome, I think I will be brewing this sometime soon. One question though, what would you recommend for a dry yeast substitute? I'm currently in Canada and I frankly don't trust their postal system with a liquid yeast (even with a cold pack + insulated box - they're that slow).

Cheers!

There is no dry saison yeast available that I know of. Something you could try is culturing some from a bottle of commercial saison.

Wanted to follow up on this. I've been sipping on one of these a night for the last few weeks. I like where I've started with this, but I would like to refine it and get it under control. I'm definitely on to something with this recipe and I'd like to tweak it.

The aroma is huge, very aggressive. Honey is obvious, somewhat boozy. The citrus notes are pretty decent. I'd like to develop the malt character a bit more to give it some depth. I did not use dextrine at all, kicking myself. The body is not quite as full as I'd like and head retention is below average at best. Should I add (or replace something with) dextrine to achieve a fuller body and better head retention? I might want to tweak the hops and schedule a little bit. I think it's a bit bigger than the calculated 9.5%, as there have been several nights that just one of these has gotten me a great buzz.

The bigger saisons that I've enjoyed that were kind of the inspiration for this are Cigar City/Bruery Dos Costas, Hill Farmstead Anna, Cigar City Cucumber Saison and several of the Stillwater Artisanal offerings.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Back