No Start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm on my 5th or 6th batch and I used a Wyeast smack pack to make an oatmeal stout.

I smacked the pack, but the yeast didn't smack back. There was negligible swelling (maybe even no swelling?) and I'm not sure how my shippers handled the pack before it got here. It's my first time using the pack.

I pitched the yeast anyway hoping to expect something spectacular.

It's been about 40 or so hours and nothing yet. No bubbles. No krausen. No temp change. I opened the brew up out of curiosity and took a gravity reading. Absolutely no change. Went in at 1.055 and is still at 1.055.

I've got standby troops waiting (S-04) and I'm mighty tempted to send them in. Any opinions on this?

Thanks as always!:mug:

BTW: This was my first mini mash. Half the bill was in grains. My target OG was 1.053 and I hit 1.055. I'm tickled.:fro:

Here chedck this out. I'm sorry if I ramble, it's firday and I've been drinking my beer. Did you take note of the date of the date on the yeast pack.

I've seen those Slap Packs take up to 3 days to swell up. Here is a quote from the Wyeast Web site:

"5. How long should it take for a package to swell?

If a package is fresh (within 2 months of the manufacture date) the package should show signs of swelling within 5 hours and typically much faster than that. When the yeast is stored for long periods of time, they slowly consume their energy reserves (glycogen). When the energy reserves get low, the yeast are slow to produce CO2 and therefore are slow to cause swelling in the package. Improper storage at warm temperatures also has the same effect as long storage times. "

Yeah, I checked out that. The package was manufactured at the end of September - not within 3 months, but I wouldn't say old. I smacked it and used it 3 hours after. My biggest worry is it got shipped across the Pacific and the shipping company might have been a little rough with it.

Send in your reserve troops. Have them take the frontal assault positions and have your wyeast pull back to your support by fire positions. You will win this battle.

I just did a Wee Heavy, same thing, didn't start. After 4 days I pitched another pack, worked just fine. I'm convinced that yeast starters are the way to go. by the by, 9 beers in, wet in the head, yea Friday!!!!!!!

The bucket is cooling as we speak (Wyeast recommended start is warmer than S-04). Once the bucket reaches target temp of about 16-18C, the troops move.

Thanks for the advice!

If I were you I'd get that dry yeast in there ASAP. The sooner they can get going the better they can outcompete any wild yeast or bacteria that may have drifted in. Continue cooling to your target fermentation temp. The slightly high temp will help them get going, and won't have much if any effect on the finished beer.

The troops have been deployed to the front line. I'm using a blow off tube and only 3 hours later I can see the water inside my tubing dropping from CO2 pressure.

I've got another Wyeast going, this one looked like it did inflate a bit. If nothing happens by this time tomorrow though, I'm checking it to make sure it survived the trip (unlike it's buddy).

Thanks again for the advice!

Back