Help! All three carboys are full!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I've been on a bit of a brewing streak lately. I've got a big altbier that spent a month fermenting and has been in a secondary for a week. Then I have what was supposed to be a Bavarian lager, but at the last minute I made it with German Ale yeast instead. It's been in the other primary for 2 days. Yesterday I brewed my Czech Pils-style steam beer and it has now started happily perking away.

I want to brew some more, but don't have any more space to do it. None of my batches is even close to being ready to bottle. Dare I buy yet another carboy?

Stop him before he brews again!

I feel your pain brother. I just racked a Pale Horse ale into the keg. Racked a Fat A$$ ale to the secondary. Now I have an open frementing vessel and nothing to put in it. These are the pains of living with no LHBS. If I had one I would jump in the car and go get a batch. No I have to mail order so I try to brew in batches to help cut down on the shipping cost.

If I had a crystalball...I would see a grain mill, lots of bulk grain, a conical fermentor, a pump or two, and 15 gallon batches in my future. Oh yeah some 15 gallon kegs too. Will need some of those and if Texas ever changes it stupid laws a new profession.

It doesn't sound like you have any choice, time for more gear. (says the guy with three empty fermenters and four batches waiting to be brewed.)

I had one 6gal when I started. SWMBO got me a 5gal for Christmas. Immediately after that, I got another 6gal, and I'll be getting another 5gal before the month is out. Buy another carboy; you'll thank me, and you'll thank yourself. :fro:

EDIT: Great, my 500th post, and I sound like a drug dealer.

Stop brewing immediately! You are coming dangerously close to becoming a Home Brew fanatic. You should sit down, cross your legs and contemplate where this could lead. 3 carboys, 4 carboys, what the heck - a dozen carboys. Your wife divorces you, the kids quit coming over because you are getting them to clean the kettle and mash tun. The neighbors for miles around keep coming over getting drunk and trashing your place while you are frantically trying to keep the kegs full. Oh, yes, the dozen carboys are primary only and your two 18' freezers and 6 keg kegerator with the mushroom on top are full of kegs. Need I go on.

You must stop now before it is too late!!!:drunk:

Sign Up for Culigan Water...You can get Culigan water delivered in 5 gal glass carboys.

Think of it, you get a carboy every week, a clean & sanitized carboy filled with good brewing water.

What more could you ask for? :drunk:

Let's see... 200 gallons per year, divided by 5 gallons per batch. That's, what, 40 batches? Hmmm... one batch every 9 days. How many carboys would I need, assuming that I use the 1-2-3 rule?

Can my wife brew 200 gallons a year, too? Or is that just 200 per household?

mmditter said:
Let's see... 200 gallons per year, divided by 5 gallons per batch. That's, what, 40 batches? Hmmm... one batch every 9 days. How many carboys would I need, assuming that I use the 1-2-3 rule?

Can my wife brew 200 gallons a year, too? Or is that just 200 per household?
100 gallons for a single person 200 gallons max per household

I had to go buy another fermenter this weekend so I could brew again... now I have three full now too... good stuff...

Back