Hello from Fernie, British Columbia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Hartley

Reaction score
Fairly new to the art of beer making.
Started my 1st batch about a month ago & now have 3 more brewing. They are all Coopers lager. Wish I would have found this site sooner as would have tried a few different mixes. My 1st batch should have been ready by now but it tasted flat so I dumped it all back in the fermenter & added more corn sugar & rebottled. Hopefully it will still turn out alright.
I'm pretty well set up for equipment for brewing from extract but will need to get a Turkey frier ect for the other types of brewing.
If I can learn to make a descent tasting beer I will be building a kegerator because I'm already tired of washing bottles:)

Looks like a great site. Should find lots of useful info.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Welcome to the site from a fellow BC'er. If you like beer, you will love homebrewing!

If you haven't already, give www.howtobrew.com/intro.html a read. It is full of a ton of great info for all types of brewing. I would also suggest to avoid the kits if you can, and buy the ingrdients that you need yourself. It may be hard to find ingredients in your area, but I guess you could always stock up when you can.

Welcome Keith! I see you aren't too far from my neck of the woods -- let me know if you ever frequent Calgary and need some advice on where to get good brewing supplies. Are they hard to find in Fernie?

Thanks for the welcome guys. We have a u-brew in town & I have a friend that used to own a brew store so can probable get what I need from here but thanks for the info. I'll check out the link Kenche.
I do head to Cow town every once in a while Flyguy, I'll give you a shout if I need something while there.
Do you ever come to Fernie to fish in the Elk River?
As I said I'm pretty new to making beer. Will have to figure out what I like & then find some good recipe's I suppose.
I'll have to bug my friend a little more, he makes his without the kits & the ones I tried were great.

Keith Hartley said:
Do you ever come to Fernie to fish in the Elk River?
As I said I'm pretty new to making beer. Will have to figure out what I like & then find some good recipe's I suppose.

I'll have to bug my friend a little more, he makes his without the kits & the ones I tried were great.
I used to fish the Elk, until BC classified the watershed. Too expensive for me now.

If you get the chance to try out some different homebrew kits, make sure to try the BrewHouse no-boil wort kits. They make MUCH better beer than the canned kits, and they are almost no work (just dump them in a carboy and add water and yeast).

If you friend is all grain brewing, then you should definitely look into that.

Cheers! :mug:

Hey Brad, Seems to be quite a few beer drinking Canuks on here. Imagine that:)

Flyguy: Yea it's crazy expensive for out of province now.

I know he gets 5 gal buckets of malt & adds his own hops & such. Is that considered all grain brewing?

www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
After looking at this link Kenche left I'm wondering if my batches will turn out at all. I can see several things I did wrong. Sucking on the transfer hose, not sanitizing the beer caps ect.
Oh well, I'm pretty good at learning from my mistakes. Had lots of pratice:(

I wish I could get out there for some of that expensive fishing. :D My home water is one of the premier trout rivers out east but I'd still love to hit some of those famed western rivers.

Beer is very hardy stuff, you'll probably be ok. Let it condition and most likely it will be fine. Worst comes to worst and it may taste like it's starting to go bad, which just means drink it quickly and get on to the next batch. ;)

Back