BeerSmith: how to determine mash efficiency for partial mashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm currently tying out BeerSmith and I need some help.

I'm going to do a partial mash tomorrow and I don't now how enter my actual system efficiency for the mash into BeerSmith.

Here is what I'm looking for: So far I have been using the Recipator where you enter your sparge run-off and the gravity of this run-off. Based on these values it can determine the mash efficiency. With the actual mash efficieny in the spreadsheet, I can adjust the amount of DME to match the target gravity.

For a while now I'm looking though Beersmith and cannot find a place where I enter sparge run-off amount and gravity.

Kai

Kai said:

I'm going to do a partial mash tomorrow and I don't now how enter my actual system efficiency for the mash into BeerSmith.

Here is what I'm looking for: So far I have been using the Recipator where you enter your sparge run-off and the gravity of this run-off. Based on these values it can determine the mash efficiency. With the actual mash efficieny in the spreadsheet, I can adjust the amount of DME to match the target gravity.

For a while now I'm looking though Beersmith and cannot find a place where I enter sparge run-off amount and gravity.

Kai

In beer smith, when you make a new recipe or open a old one the efficiency rating is close to the top towards the right. You can manually input for efficiency rating if you know it in. If you dont know your efficiency rating then click on the "brewhouse efficiency" button and input your info to find your "brewhouse efficiency" number.

I think I have seen this.

But the problem is, that I'm asked to give the gravity after adding the extract to the sparge run-off. What I'm looking for, is a place where I can enter the gravity of the sparge run-off and then adjust the amount of extract used to hit the target OG.

I also understand, that there are some formulas out there, that I could use to determine the amount of DME/LME needed to hit the OG. But that would somewhat defeat the purpose of using BeerSmith.

Kai said:

Kai

With a partial mash is done in beer smith you should double click on the grain your using once you figured out what your efficiency is and plug in the efficiency number where it says "dry yield fine grain". Thats is another name for the potential yield of the grain. Do the grain first before you add the extract into the recipe. So lets say you get your readings from your runoff, plug that into the button called "brewhouse efficiency" plug the og in there to get your efficiency for the grain, then go and double click on the grain and plug in the efficiency number like i told you a couple of sentence's before. This will keep your grain and extract efficiency seperate. Your extract efficiency should be 100%. There are so many variables that we deal with, that if we did everything perfect we would still be off. Hope this helps

Back