Game of Thrones Inspired Lord of the North Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
Hey guys! Many months ago I posted a thread on hear about making a medieval style beer that would capture the essences of Winterfell from Game of Thrones.

Sappy Stuff:
When I made that thread I was so green that I pissed grass, with regards to brewing, and couldn't hit a target OG if it smacked me in the ***! Since I have been on here though and have been consulting with you guys my brewing has gotten much more consistent, and I now know at least how much grain to buy!

Beer Stuff (the good part):

From the Original Thread from which this beer was forged.

This is what we tried to captured here:
What I am wanting to capture is an Ale that you could imagine being drank in a Norther European Castle at a feast or cold night. I would imagine something that wouldn't be dark like an RIS, but not pale like a whit either. Something that would have a rustic flavor probably a bit cloudy with a big thick head that could be served at cellar temp with oak notes from being stored in a barrel. Imagine a beer that would be made from the fall harvest before a hard winter hit.
This is what we came up with:
Ingredient Name------------------Amount
Weyermann Munich Type II-----9 lbs, 0 oz

Weyermann Rye Malt-------------1 lbs, 8 oz

Briess White Wheat---------------1 lbs, 8 oz

Thomas Fawcett Oat Malt--------1 lbs, 0 oz

Simpsons Peated Malt-------------0 lbs, 8 oz

Columbus Pelletts------------------.5 oz @ 60 mins

Nugget Pellets ----------------------.5 oz @ 60 mins

Oak Chips, Toasted-----------------2 oz ~2 weeks

Wyeast Labs Bier de Garde Yeast

The Brew Day (stove fires might or might not have been involved):

I am going to start off by saying that the actual brewing process did not go as well as I would have liked to say the least.

As we were boiling water to mash with, I noticed a more orange than normal glow coming up from under the water pot and noticed that indeed that a grease fire had started inside of the drip pan! Luckily, I was able to put it out with a slurry of flour and water before it got out of hand, but it wasn't a good omen "winter was coming".

When I started my mash (really thick in 5 gallon tun), I had over shot the initial mash temperature, so I added some ice to the tun and tried to stir it all together to reach some sort of average temperature. However, the thickness of the mash made it difficult, and on advice from a sibling, I was told that in the tun, it should reach an average temp soon between the hot and cold spots.

I figured, nuclear engineering major, he has taken two classes of thermo-dynamics right? I figured it should work out all right, well, after 30 minutes we did hit an average temp in the mash, but it was at (135 :0)! Not very conducive to thick heady beer for the Lord of Winterfell to drink!

So, we had a bit of stroke of inspiration from a German Decoation mash. We drained out 2 gallons of the wort and 1/3 of the grain and placed it on the stove (which we had cleaned very well to stop more grease fires!) and brought it to a boil for a few minutes before mixing it back into the mash tun and mixing everything together. After we did this, we hit around 157 on the temp and let it mash for an additional hour.

Everything after that point went pretty much as you would normally expect, we boiled the wort for two hours (one hour to reduce volume to make room for starter, another hour for the hops), we added some whirlock with about 15 minutes left and got the wort nice and chilled before adding our 1/2 gallon starter.

The thing that impressed me the most was that even after all of the hickups we had during this brew we still hit our target gravity at 1.068. We had airlock activity within hours and because of the fermcap we were able to fill the carboy nearly to top and have no blow out or clogged airlock!

I plan on removing the oak chips I added in a hop-sock in about 2 weeks, before racking the beer to secondary so I can wash and keep the yeast for later!

I hope to be able to have this beer ready before season 2 comes out on blue ray for my Game of Thrones Marathon viewing!

So it's now beer tasting and review time! It has been nearly two months now since I brewed this beer! Lets start with a glance at the beer!

153u2rc.jpg

Appearance:
Looking at it right here I would call it an opaque copper color with plenty of signs of bubbles coming it, this one is carbed kinda heavily actually. If you shine the light through it, it appears different shades of orange, with it looking brown with no light on it.

Nose:
It's really hard for me to describe even with a flavor wheel, I would call it a slightly tart smell with a slight malty sweet note. One again, hard for me to really call it. Perhaps very subtle vanilla?

MouthFeel:
Co2 bite from the amount of carbonation with a bubbly sensation as you work it around. It also has a pretty full feel to it as well, not bubbly and light, but bubbly with body.

Taste:
It taste like nothing I have ever had before, I get some tartness from the yeast, I think oak from the cubes that I used, the tartness and oak I feel really kinda turned into something unique in it's own respect. At the end you get a malty caramel taste from the Munich malt. What is interesting is that tartness is kinda similar to that of green apple but without all the bite, kinda that thing going on.

Overall:
It taste like nothing I have ever had before, it's good, especailly as the maltyness comes through in the end, but I have no clue really how to describe it beyond what I have tried. Perhaps someone will be able to help in a trade :)

cool, i like unique recipe approaches a lot (what im scouring HBT for right now). all munich with some non barley grains. i bet the peated malt will take time to mellow out. how do you think the biere de garde yeast tastes?

Well, as far as the yeast selection goes, It's kinda hard for me to pick out what it contributes exactly in this case, I am pretty sure that the "green apple tartness" comes from the bier de garde I used. I kinda do want to find someone to taste this beer who has some level of experience.

oh right should have mentioned, a green apple taste can be due to lack of bottle time. i find i need at least 3 weeks after bottling for a totally good flavour to come out. however "tart"? i dont know

Green apple is typically Diacetyl. It may fade, but your first line of defense is a D-rest. That is after primary fermentation slows/finishes bring the beer up to ~70 and let is sit for a few days.

Interesting recipe, I may give it a whirl. Although a lower level of carbonation may be appropriate to emulate a cask conditioned beer.

Well, the green apple is kinda subtle actually, and It might be one of the characterestics from the yeast that I used, it is described as follows:

Wyeast 3725-PC Bier de Garde Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

If I was to do it again, I would probally try some other yeast (and/or) mash at a higher temperture to get a sweeter beer. I have found that allowing the beer to set for 30 minutes or so to let the co2 disapate really does help the other flavors come out. I will post new tasting notes soon.

allowing the beer to set for 30 minutes or so to let the co2 disapate really does help the other flavors come out. I will post new tasting notes soon.

sounds like a cask ale or nitro push

Ccbrewer, you made this beer? Tell me what you think, tell me everything you can. I might try and rebrew it :)

not sure where the "I will post new tasting notes soon." came from, I think I was posting a pm at the same time and got it crossed, I drink.... therefore I get mixed up LOL

I have not brewed this, however was wanting to, or a clone of ommegang and this for a bit of a twist. Let me toss this in beersmith and see what I come up with.

I was thinking cherry and not oak cubes...

I do not see a "Wyeast Labs Bier de Garde Yeast" I see they list these as examples of strains to use for this style:

"Wyeast Strains:
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
3787 - Trappist High Gravity™
1388 - Belgian Strong Ale™
1762 - Belgian Abbey II™
2565 - Kölsch™
1007 - German Ale™
3711 - French Saison "

Which did you use?

is this still produced? I see it form the 2011 collection "Wyeast 3725-PC Bier de Garde Yeast"

UPDATE// nevermind found it

JULY - SEPTEMBER 2013 Private collection

Wyeast 3725-PC Biere de Garde

Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.060 - 1.080
IBUs: 20 - 30
FG: 1.012 - 1.018
SRM: 6 - 19
ABV: 6 - 8%

I have to add this yeast strain to beersmith

I came up with this, as this is in the style of the yeast used, and more along the lines of a belgian.

The hops were off the chart in IBU's so I changed them to Brewers Gold at 1oz and BAM smack in the middle for the style, came in at 7%ABV I think the rye malt would play off the yeast which is said to promote some "Spicy" tones.

Here is a pic of the beersmith print page

FYI: This puts the recipe right smack dab in the middle of the style format. I hope you saved some yeast, because at $7+ for yeast and Cost of $~30 for supplies total, it might be hard to get people to adopt this, They could swap out any of the above stated yeasts, but then the rye malt may stand out a bit much.

1KRiLTF.jpg

Forgot to add in cherry cubes.

Looks good to me! Just one question, why did you swap the Munich malt for pilsner?

Marris otter would work better I think, if you wanted to use something other than Munich.

Glad you found the yeast btw!

Looks good to me! Just one question, why did you swap the Munich malt for pilsner?

Marris otter would work better I think, if you wanted to use something other than Munich.

Glad you found the yeast btw!

The munich 20L aka Munich II was throwing the numbers out of wack, so I went with the Pilsner to keep true to the style, and the crystal 120 to get the same SRM color that was obtained with the Munich II.

I will see if I can toss the munich back in and show numbers for numbers vs the two

Here is yours:

7qzFkwb.jpg

Here is mine:

U8hX86L.png

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Cherry-Smoking-Wood-Chips/16213432

Hello Brewers!

I finally got around to brewing another version of this beer! This time, I had no Munich malt nor Bier De Garde yeast, but
I hope that it should capture the feel of the beer very well. If it doesn't make it as a "Lord of the North Ale', I think it could
do well as a "Beyond the Wall Sahti", or mayhaps a "Crow's Eye Sahti".

It looks like this:

Batch Size: 6 Gallons
Efficiency: 61%
Mash: 152F 90 Min

Maris Otter--------------------------12 Lbs
Oats---------------------------------2 Lbs
Wheat-------------------------------1.5 Lbs
Rye----------------------------------1.5 Lbs
CaraPills------------------------------1 Lbs
Crystal 20L----------------------------1 Lbs

Additions
1 Oz Crushed Dry Juniper Berries in Mash
.5 Oz Fuggle Leaf Hops 60 Min Boil
1.5 Oz Fuggle Leaf Hops 25 Min Boil
.75 Oz Crushed Dry Juniper 25 Min Boil

Yeast:
Safe Brew WB-06

The hydrometer sampled I tried had a real nice banana taste, but the Juniper berries were kinda lost, so I bought some more today and started soaking them in gin, so that I can add the extract in a couple weeks at bottling time if need be. Right now it is bubbling very slowly near the very tail end of the fermentation it would seem, and is kinda a very murky dark yellow/brown color. Sure looks like something from "beyond the wall'!

Cheers!

Alright guys! Today is bottling day! I had soaked 2 oz of juniper berries in gin for 8 days prior to today just so I could add it at bottling time :D

My OG was rather low, at 1.009 which should put the abv at a whopping 8.7%! The late hop additions of Fuggles gave the beer a nice "herbal" kinda bitterness without being sharp like early addition hops, and once I added the gin that had been soaking the juniper berries, it kinda made the beer "pop!". It gave it very lively freshness to help contrast with the woody earthy fuggles.

Since the gravity was lower than it should have been, I added 8 oz of maltodextrine into the bottling bucket along with 5 oz of dextrose. I am expecting around 2.6 to 2.7 volumes of c02!

I just brewed a Game of Thrones themed beer yesterday for a viewing party for the season 4 premier. I'm calling Targaryen Ale. It's only my second recipe I've ever come up with, so I wasn't too experimental besides my use of beets to turn the beer red (the House Targaryen's motto is Fire and Blood). And let me tell you, it's crazy red (for the blood part of the motto). I made it fairly hoppy to represent the Fire part of the motto, it's a little cheesy, but I hope it's good.

I asked some guys at my local brewshop if they had used beets, and one guy had, said it turned out well, with the beets giving an earthy flavor. So when I was picking out hops I had the choice of going even earthier or to go another direction and give the beer a more complicated flavor. I went complicated. Here's my recipe, if anyone's interested, give me a month or so and I'll let you know if it tastes good (extract recipe):

6.6 pounds liquid Pilsen extract
1.5 pounds Vienna Malt
.5 pounds Caramel 20L
.25 pounds Carapils
1 ounce Chinook (11.6% aa)
1 ounce Ahtanum (4.6% aa)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
1.75 pounds peeled beets

I did a 60 minute boil, added the chinook at 60 minutes, and the Ahtanum at 5, total IBUs about 57. Could have gone a bit hoppier, but some people who will

I used the lightest colored malts I could find to make it easier to turn red with beets, I probably could have gone a little darker and still had enough red from the beets.

Back