Enough time for large starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing 10g of 1.050 lager this Sun. Using 2 fresh vials, the Mr. Malty pitching calculator calculates that the starter volume should be 1.43 gallons with a stirplate.

My question is this:
Do you guys think I have enough time (2-3 days) for the starter to 1) ferment out completely and 2) floc out when chilled at 50F so I can decant and just pitch slurry?

Thanks

Yes, you have time (hopefully you already started it). Just make sure to add some nutrients to help the yeast do their thing. By Sunday your starter (unless sanitation was poor) will be ready floc out and pitch after decanting. Good Luck.

I have the same dilemma here. I knew that it wasn't much time, but it was either brew this Weekend, or don't have an opportunity to brew again for 2 weeks. I did my 2.20 Liter starter on Thursday night, and I just mashed in for my Simcoe Nierra Ale. Looks like I'll be pitching the whole 2.20 liters this afternoon as the yeast is still doing it's thing...:(

Screw it. I just placed both flasks into the refidgerator to cold crash them for a couple of hours, then about 45 minutes prior to pitching I'll bring them back up to room temp. I really do not want to pitch 1/2 gallon of extra wort into my fermenters.

Back