temp question: too cold for last of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barooo

Reaction score
I am brewing a brewers best amber ale (extract kit) and I'm using wyeast 1335 northwest ale yeast (instead of the nottingham that came with the kit). First week of fermentation was at around 72ish (in a closet, basic room temp, maybe 67 at the lowest, 72 at the highest) for a week, then on Saturday (1 week from brew date) it was supposed to be pushing 90 so I decided rather than risk the bananas it was time to move it, so it's now in my storage area. Storage area is quite a bit cooler, about 60 (based on a thermapen instant read thermometer measuring the airlock water). Within 6 hours, the krausen had dropped and the last bubbles in the airlock had stopped. The yeast says the low end of the range is 65, but it seemed better to go to 60 than to 85.

So my question is, am I better off moving it back upstairs now that the temp has dropped, or will I just get a clearer product from the 2 weeks of colder fermentation (I'm planning to bottle after 3 weeks total) and I should just rdwhah? My OG was 1.051, final should hopefully be around 1.012. This is my first brew, although I've helped a friend with a few batches and I've read quite a bit.

Move it upstairs and take a gravity reading. Wait a few days, measure gravity again. If it changes, give it more time. If it is steady, bottle. However, either way, another week or two in primary would be fine, if you want to play it safe.

Warming it back up will reactivate the yeast if there is still fermentable sugar left.

I think it would be best to check the gravity. If you have already reached your FG, then I would leave it at 60 for two weeks.

Latest posts

Back