Mash tun hole too big! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTun-Kutcher

Reaction score
Hey guys,
ballvalve.jpg

My Igloo cooler's hole is too big for my 3/8 ball valve setup. What can i do beside buy a bigger ball valve?

Thanks!

ballvalve.jpg

try a 3/8 to 1/2 bushing... that might do the trick... personally i would just go with a 1/2 ball valve.

The rubbermaid coolers have a white rubber insert that gets left inside after you remove the original plastic spigot, and you feed the ball valve/nipple through that sleeve into the cooler.

of course your Igloo might be different but i wanted to make sure you did not toss the white sleeve if it exists.

The igloo doesnt have that so i think im going to return this Igloo one and get a Coleman. Thanks for the help!

Pretty sure I've got the same cooler. It did have a white rubber washer/gasket that was lipped and fit in the hole. It didn't fit well though, but in any case the washer I used on the inside is what actually seals the MLT. I believe I used a red hose gasket inside.

I used a 1.5" neoprene washer backed up by a similar sized flat washer to solve this problem. I did have to resize the washer hole with a dremel tool though.

It looks like you may need a stack of washers or a bushing based on your nipple length. (Insert stripper joke here.)

Haha

Ok so i abandoned this whole set up of mine after seeing this video on youtube

Hes extremely annoying but his setup is unbelievable simple. im going to try it tomorrow and ill let you all how it goes.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable... that was the most annoying, gut wrenchingly drawn out and over done video clip I've ever tried to watch. It was like 10 minutes before he actually starting putting together that Home Depot grab bag of parts. And who the hell uses a mic like that, really? come on, you're two freaking feet from the camera.

Sorry...

Wow. That is an annoyingly slow video. I think I just lost 2 million brain cells.

EDIT: Flo, you had it right on before you deleted your post...

Wow. That is an annoyingly slow video. I think I just lost 2 million brain cells.

EDIT: Flo, you had it right on before you deleted your post...

**** maybe I was spot on... **** me i saw Vancouver and said yeah the accent fits, but then saw Washington and thought hrm... maybe there is a Vancouver WA.

either way I wanted to punch the guy in the throat whether it be MashTun-Kutcher or not.

MashTun-Kutcher are you saying that is NOT your video.... I just assumed with the low post count and the screen name, you were shamelessly plugging your video

-=jason=-

Even if it's not his video, i think a good throat bashing is in order.... We've been traumatized by the video, none of us will ever be the same. We deserve justice.

Probably deserves punishment more if it's not his video... at least shameless self promotion is an excuse for the post.

for those who have not been punched in the throat I don't recommend you try it because it is not a pleasant experience.

now that I see MashTun is the OP with a big Gaping hole he is trying to fix i don't think its his video.

-=Jason=-

Listen up! This is absolutely NOT my video! And i am not promoting it in any way! haha i merely stumbled upon it while YouTube surfing. The guy in this video is a Grade-A ***** bag and i used his video to make a better mash tun than he did. The one i made iss easy and cheap, ill post the how to on here soon.

Peace

Latest posts

Back