Odd smell in finished beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So im drinking my second batch of homebrew, a brown ale. my first was a pale ale.

They both taste awesome but have a light "rotten egg" kinda smell going on. One was bottle conditioned and the second was force carbed in a keg.

What can this be?
I used distilled water on both (both were extracts).

Rotten Egg smell comes from Hydrogen sulfide, which is a natural by-product of fermentation that´s normally flushed out with the production of carbon dioxide during fermentation

I have found, since I started brewing last year, that I have made some very bad smelling beers. The batch of stout that I just finished a month ago smelled like wet dog for example. I was thinking that I was doing something wrong, and how to fix it, but as I try craft brews from the local area I have come to a conclusion: Good beer sometimes smells bad. What I mean to say is that sometimes when you are a small brewer, brewing something without lots of hops, you choose certain ingredients that give you a certain flavour profile that you are looking for, but just don't smell very good. It is a trade-off I am willing to make for my own beer.

Also, I have found that other people do not smell it, so I think I may be over-exaggerating how strong the smell is in my own mind.

This happened with both beers. I fermented a little high (I live in Florida and even in "winter" it gets in the 80's). Mostly around 68-72. But I always kept in my yeasts' range.

(right now) I'm getting that smell from a really active yeast through my air lock. It smells like grains and rotten eggs. Is that normal?

This happened with both beers. I fermented a little high (I live in Florida and even in "winter" it gets in the 80's). Mostly around 68-72. But I always kept in my yeasts' range.

How long did you leave the wort/brew on the yeast cake?? Leaving it on longer can do wonders for cleaning up the brew...

Ak, search the forum for rotten egg and sulfur. You will find that those smells are common, especially with lager yeast.

(right now) I'm getting that smell from a really active yeast through my air lock. It smells like grains and rotten eggs. Is that normal?

Yes, don't sweat it. Some yeasts are normally like this, and other yeasts throw off a lot of these smells under certain conditions.

Latest posts

Back