Nine cases of 22oz bottles - Pour Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

So to minimize the cost of bottles as well as time involved in bottling, I purchased all 22oz'ers (12 22oz bottles were $9.99, compared to $19.99 for 24 12oz bottles at the LHBS). Nine cases in all, which will have been completely filled in three weeks time.

When I pour the beer, I don't want to have to pour the entire thing at once. What is the best way to minimize the yeast being re-suspended after a half-pour? Or do I really need to pour the entire thing at once to ensure no yeast gets kicked back up? Alternately, how long does it take for the yeast to re-settle at the bottom?

When I bottled with my 22s I usually just made sure I had a glass big enough to get all of the beerey goodness in one pour. Ive tried having 2 seperate glasses, but it still seemed to stir up a bunch of yeasties and made the 2nd one cloudy. This isnt a huge deal if you are
A - Drinking a heffe.
B - Drinking a dark brew (i.e. stout)
C - Dont care about yeast in your beer.

Me, count me in as B and C.
-Me

use a secondary and cold crash before bottling to reduce the amount of yeast sediment that makes it to the bottles...and man up, drink the yeasty goodness that is homebrew :mug:

What is wrong with yeast?? I LIKE the yeast! I've never had a beer where the yeast was not a good thing.

It makes you fart.

Well, I fart alot anyway but now I can have an excuse as to WHY I bust ass so much. (Other than the fact that I find it entertaining.)
-Me

You can't really let it re settle. If you do, it will take so long that the second pour will be flat.

Get big glasses, (the 20 oz Brewtus types like they have at applebees work well), or pour into two smaller glasses. Start your pour into the first, pour until full, ease up on the pour JUST enough so that beer stops flowing, (do this gently), and without moving the bottle set one glass down and pick up the second, resume pouring.

You really can't save half for later. Drink up, it's good! And this just means you're gonna have to brew some more soon to keep your pipeline intact!!! :ban: :tank: :mug:

I just want a LHBS that sells bombers for $9.99 a case. Can't get them less than $13-$14 a case around here. Bought mine off craigslist for $5 a case.

Back