beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankfurtvr4

Reaction score
I have little problem. I have a barelywine that has been moving from carboy to carboy since August 1st. I am running out of extra carboys for the other brews that are being brewed now too. Can I put this in a keg carb it for a couple of weeks then store it? My other options is just to leave it in the carboy and store it but I would really like to find some other container to hold it until March.

If this is a dumb question please let me know. SWMBO is brewing for me to get the stock up and let stuff age but I am quickly running out of storage and she does not drink her stuff fast enough for me to use what I bought for her.

We brew in five gallon batches if that makes any difference. I just ordered two more buckets and two more carboys but I am going to quickly fill those up as well.

This is what I think I am going to need to keep 20 gallons on tap each month:

Carboy: 6 (Apfelwein), 6 ( Mead), 12 (Beer) =24
Bucket (Primary): 6 (Apfelwein), 6 ( Mead), 12 (Beer) =24

I already have 4 kegs but might move up to 6 or 8.

Any ideas?

Put it in the keg purge it a couple times to get the O2 out and then pressurize it to 20 - 30psi whatever it takes to be sure it's sealed and disconnect the gas and store it.

Sounds like you need some help in the drinkin dept. Allow me to offer my services :D

I tend to go through a lot of beer and AW. I am trying to stock up during my year of forced sobriety so I don’t have to go buy beer at the store at 0100. My buddies get really tired of picking me up for a beer run ten minutes midnight on a Tuesday night.

I was worried about storing in kegs. I am currently at ten carboys and ten buckets and four kegs. As I order supplies for the batches I either order a new carboy or new bucket. My kegs empty pretty quickly. When I am home there are two or three parties at my house a week. My motorcycle club puts in a couple of bucks for ingredients so that covers the costs.

I figure I get around 40 glasses per Keg. I started brewing again because we were spending way to much money on beer. On Thursdays we have around 8 people over and Friday and Saturday we have around 12. Works out well for me since I never have to worry about drinking and riding and the house is big enough people can crash in the spare room or my furniture in the yard.

The thought was as a keg starts to empty put another two on my extra Co2 bottle with carb stone and get it up and going the same day.

Back