coffee grounds from starbucks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethful

Reaction score
the last time I went into my local starbucks, they had bags of spent coffee grounds for free... basically, they state that its a good fertilizer.

Anyone tried this and/or when is the best time to use them?

the last time I went into my local starbucks, they had bags of spent coffee grounds for free... basically, they state that its a good fertilizer.

Anyone tried this and/or when is the best time to use them?

Not only are they a good fertilizer, but they also act as an ant repellent if you wish to scatter them around your home's foundation. Do not over-apply unless you are wanting to acidify your soil in a specific area. Great for rose bushes, azaleas, blueberry bushes, etc.

also keep in mind that coffee grounds are a green compost, so don't add them with your grass clippings. Rather, they work better when mixed with leaves later in the year for composting.

that has worked for me with crickets but never ants.

I have used it as an ant repellent and it works well here for the local ants. Might not work for all kinds, though. I have seen quite a few others online claim it works as well, so it likely works for some people.

Check out this thread for some more info. I used them all last year and been putting them on whenever I can get my hands on them. I was amazed this spring when working up my garden how soft, rich, and airy my soil was where I have been putting grounds and spent grain!

Latest posts

Back