New to Kegging, need advice on some parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
Our local homebrew club did a massive bulk order of used corny kegs so I bought 5 + new rings since they were so cheap. I have them at home now and am super anxious to use them.....the main blocking point is that I really don't know what else I need. Here is what I have:
5 Corny kegs
5 sets of new rings/seals
a fridge that can hold (if I measured correctly) 2 kegs and a small (5lb?) Co2 tank.

I'm not planning to drill the fridge (yet) but I would like to get at least one keg in there and tapped so I was planing on getting:

One 5lb co2 tank
One of these: Draft Beer Line Tube for Draft Beer Equipment with Faucet - KegWorks (hand held tap)
Premium Double Gauge CO2 Regulator

Is there anything else I would need? Eventualy I'l probably add on the Y adapter so I can have 2 kegs, or is adding another hand held tap and just moving the co2 when I want to try a different beer that much of a pain? I don't drink *that* much beer that I'd be moving it more than maybe once of twice a week. It also seems like for the same price I can get the stuff peace meal from kegworks I can get this:
Brew Logic Single Tap Draft System- with NEW Aluminum Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
Complete set from midwest, which also comes with another keg. What I would really like is the same package from midwest minus the extra keg (to save a little money).

Lastly, how do folks clean their kegs? I sprayed mine out and filled them with water thinking that I'd put some kind of cleaner in there but I didnt want to use bleach.
I've got an oKtoberfest that is just itching to go into one of these kegs for the season=)

Sorry for the long post, any advice greatly appreciated.

nb

Quick tip: KegConnection has an option to remove kegs from most of their kits. I highly recommend a dual setup, you'll be thankful later after having to switch connections even a few times.

Quick tip: KegConnection has an option to remove kegs from most of their kits. I highly recommend a dual setup, you'll be thankful later after having to switch connections even a few times.

Excellent. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. So,how do you clean your kegs? I normally use a no rinse oxy cleaner. Is that desirable for these or do most use iodophor or starsan or something?

There are some good threads a couple threads down about cleaning. Check those out for some great tips.

make sure you clean the hand held cobra tap after every keg and have backup parts for that as well. Those little O rings and disappear very fast.

Latest posts

Back