Malting at home? experimental brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterbronc

Reaction score
The brew fairy donated 14 lbs of 6 row local organic winter barley to me this weekend. He said no catch, just let me know how it turns out. Ive done some reading, and a bit of research online, and it sounds pretty darn easy to malt my own..

I lost about a pound rinsing, lots of bugs, stalk, and other little seeds to get out of it. (kinda expected that from Organic) but heres the plan based on research and what ive read.

soak for 6 hours, drain, let stand 8-12 hours, repeat 3 times

to germinate, place in well drained 60 deg dark place, and stir 3 times a day for 4-5 days, then when the shoots are 75-100% the length of the grain, its time to dry.( I have seen recomendations of useing terracotta pots, but im unsure of the lead content in the clay)

to dry, maintain a temp between 90 and 110deg F till crunchy.

I plan on pulling a couple pounds out while green and roasting at 212deg for 45-60 min, to make Crystal malt.

I have no idea what to brew with it yet, I might go with an IPA, complete with homegrown hops.

Back