Uh oh. AG hefe but forgot rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
11 pounds of grain, 5 of it is red wheat and I forgot the rice hulls.
I have to brew it tomorrow with our holiday travel schedule coming up and the LHBS is not open on Sunday.

My mash setup is a 10 gallon round cooler with bazooka tube/screen.
Should I just proceed and hope for the best - maybe mash a little thinner?

thanks for any suggestions

11 pounds of grain, 5 of it is red wheat and I forgot the rice hulls.
I have to brew it tomorrow with our holiday travel schedule coming up and the LHBS is not open on Sunday.

My mash setup is a 10 gallon round cooler with bazooka tube/screen.
Should I just proceed and hope for the best - maybe mash a little thinner?

thanks for any suggestions

i bet you'll be fine...i've never used rice hulls in a hefe and also never had a stuck mash in a hefe (knock on wood...). Maybe mash a little thinner, 1.33 qt/gal or 1.5 qt.gal?

I don't use rice hulls in any hefe/rye, but I do a protein rest. I would highly recommend a protein rest around 122 for about 20 minutes to ensure you don't have a stuck mash.

I didn't realize the protein rest would help with the sparging - I thought it was just for different flavor/body. I would have to do 2 infusions since I use a cooler but that should also result in a thinner mash which would help too.
I've never done anything but a single infusion but it really shouldn't be too much harder.
thanks

Yeah, a protein rest will help with sparging. A protein rest breaks down various proteins during the rest and will help in reducing the possibility of a stuck mash. I've made various rye/wheat batches over the years and have always done a protein rest; since then, never a stuck mash.

Flavor/body comes from the grains in the grain bill and the temp mashed at, along with the yeast used.

Good luck.

Back