Brown Rice Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Heres a quick question for all the Home Brewers out there. Is the Brown Rice
Syrup I find in my health food store suitable for brewing? Is it the exact same Brown Rice Syrup I see for sale in my favourite home brew shops online?
:cool:

I use the health food store stuff. I can't compare it to what you see at the HB store bc I haven't seen it there.

So Then what were the results? As far as residual colour and flavour. And any other characteristics.

I use brown rice syrup from a health food shop and rice syrup solids interchangeably and I've always thought they ferment out completely. I find the syrup easier to use than the rice syrup solids but I've not brewed the same beer again and used syrup instead of solids. Oh, and homebrew shop doesn't have the syrup, only the solids.

In my experience-- I used it for gluten free beer w sorghum extract-- there was very little if any color addition with the brown rice syrup.

You will need to steep/ mash malt for that.

How about colour. Will it add some brown colour to my Brown Ales?
:rockin:

No, the syrup is way too light (at least all of the ones I've seen) to have any impact on color. And the rice syrup solids have no impact either. If you want some color for your brown ale try using specialty grains or even use molasses. I used some in my brown ale (in my drop down :D) and the flavor didn't come through but it sure helped the color.

Back