Orange Peel and Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
So I am making a beer with orange peel and coriander and was wondering what to do after the boil.

Do I filter out the coriander, orange peel and hops or just throw it al in the fermentor?

I usually filter out the hops but know you don't need to and just didn't want to put too much flavor into it. Any help is appreciated.

:mug:

I rack my beers into the fermenter. When I do I whirlpool first and let everything sit for about 15 or 20 minutes and then rack from the side. This will leave not only your orange peel and coriander behind, but hop debris and hot/cold break as well.

Filter it out. I found that a nylon mesh bag that has elastic at the top to hold to a 5 gallon fermenter is a fantastic way to filter. You can get one from your LHBS for about 5 bucks. Just sanitize it along with your fermenter.

Nah, i made the NB Witbier. Had orange peel and coriander in it.

So I filtered it out and tasted it when I pulled a sample for the gravity and did not taste the orange or coriander all that much. Any thoughts?

Thats normal. The orange and corriander in most wits is fairly subdued. For good commercial examples of subdued orange and corriander, try Shocktop or Bluemoon. But the good news is that I've had a few wits where the flavors did come out a bit more after bottle conditioning for several weeks.

Back