Good Kits that last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenMan

Reaction score
I know it's taboo to post before I search the entire forum, but I'll promise you that I did poke around before asking this n00bish question.

Where can I find/What is a decent kit for beginner to intermediate that's available for reasonable shipping cost to Canada.

The wife got a new ring and she's all for me buying a brewing kit right now,but i have to act fast because i keep cashing it in for sex and I'm losing leverage here.

Please help before my penis ruins it for me.:eek:

haha thats hilarious...i would check out the basic starter kit on this website it comes with pretty much all u need to start ur first batch and works great for me(i actually didnt get it from THIS website, i got it from the local homebrew shop but its the EXACT same kit) i would also recommend getting an autosiphon there about $10-12USD but well worth the money
NORTHERN BREWER: Beer Starter Kits

I'm a little confused about something.... I've seen people use the bucket to ferment and to bottle. I've also seen people transfer to a carboy first. which is better?

PS I bought a used kit online for cheep, I'm sure it's not the greatest but it's going to make beer!

I would go with this one with the glass carboys...peacing it all together afterwards can be more expensive, trust me.

Better Basic Starter Kit w/ glass carboy $120.99

glass-beer.jpg

I'm a little confused about something.... I've seen people use the bucket to ferment and to bottle. I've also seen people transfer to a carboy first. which is better?

PS I bought a used kit online for cheep, I'm sure it's not the greatest but it's going to make beer!

Personal preference! Some guy's will follow the 1-2-3 rule (1wk fermenter, 2 week secondary, 3 week in bottles).

You can just as well go 3-4wks in fermenter and bottle straight out of there if you like.

I just racked to my secondary this evening mainly because I wanted to clear my larger fermenter so I can ready my next batch on Saturday.

Thanks Panzermann for your help. So many things are preference when it comes to making beer, it can get confusing at times.

For clarification the 1 2 3 rule is 1 week in the fermenter, 2nd week in the secondary, 3rd in bottles for a total of 3 weeks?

Thanks Panzermann for your help. So many things are preference when it comes to making beer, it can get confusing at times.

For clarification the 1 2 3 rule is 1 week in the fermenter, 2nd week in the secondary, 3rd in bottles for a total of 3 weeks?

No, as in six weeks. My first batch I fermented for three weeks, then bottled for three weeks. I now do use something along the lines of the 1 2 3 rule just because it gets me a better 'flow' of things going in. Nothing wrong with simply fermenting in the bucket for 3 weeks and then bottling.

Though 3 weeks will give you a good, drinkable beer, I personally think (in my limited experience) that 4-5 weeks is a better bottle aging time. I know when I started out a couple batches ago several people told me this as well. Of course, the day that 3rd week was over I cracked some open as I was eager. And they tasted good. Two weeks later it tasted much better.

Where most people here seem to recommend you take your time conditioning your beer in the bottles, I say crack that baby open on that 21st day. Then crack a few more open. Get familiar with how it tastes. Then wait a week or two and try again. That's what I did, and as a newbie I can still say that I know the difference not just because of what I've been told, but from my experience.

6 weeks! looks like i'll have to take a trip to the beer store a few times before my brew is done. I just finished washing 61 bottles that had sludge in them (used) it only took me 2.5 hours...... weeeeeee. The wife said she's never seen me enjoy dishes so much!

I know it's taboo to post before I search the entire forum, but I'll promise you that I did poke around before asking this n00bish question.

Where can I find/What is a decent kit for beginner to intermediate that's available for reasonable shipping cost to Canada.

The wife got a new ring and she's all for me buying a brewing kit right now,but i have to act fast because i keep cashing it in for sex and I'm losing leverage here.

Please help before my penis ruins it for me.:eek:

lol.

go to Winning Wines Plus on 111st (just south of 63 avenue). Andrew will set you up nicely. It's the best homebrew shop in Edmonton. Join the Edmonton Homebrewer's Guild (EHG) and get 10% off anything at his shop.

lol.

go to Winning Wines Plus on 111st (just south of 63 avenue). Andrew will set you up nicely. It's the best homebrew shop in Edmonton. Join the Edmonton Homebrewer's Guild (EHG) and get 10% off anything at his shop.

Thanks for the advice. I will wait to join EHG though, i need some experience before i play with the big boys.

Thanks for the advice. I will wait to join EHG though, i need some experience before i play with the big boys.

I'd join right away. Brewers always have extra stuff to loan/give a new brewer and love to talk beer. It's a great way to have access to cheap/free equipment and get all your questions answered.

Plus, there is always beer to sample! :mug:

FWIW - You could do 1-2-3, and be fine (although you really ought to double-check the gravity before bottling to make sure the beer is done. Or else you wil end up with possible bottle bombs).

However, realize that many brewers here do not bother with a secondary for most beers. You might easily just do 2-3 and primary for 2 weeks, then bottle and wait 3 weeks for carbonation.

YMMV.

Back