Bottling muscadine wine in mason jars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
I've got a good bit of muscadine wine im making. Can it be bottled in mason jars?

The tough part is the mason jars use heat/cooling created vacuum for sealing and heat for sanitation. Unless you have completely degassed the wine, CO2 will eventually force the seal open.

Assuming you keep it out of sunlight, I don't see a problem.

The larger issue comes from drinking out of mason jars: It is a dangerous activity, don't say you weren't warned. lol

Actually, any booze I drank growing up tended to come out of mason jars... Makes me rather homesick just thinking about it.

I am doing a first attempt at wine with yard grown muscadines myself; seems to me a mason jar fits it just about right. going to use quart jars for mine.

How about filling the jars? Should you fill them to the brim to minimize oxygen exposure?

I have about 4 gallons of Mustang Grape wine that will be rerady to bottle in December and I also plan on using Mason jars.

I planned on using Mason jars, I think it will be cool for homemade wine and mead.

Bump for an old thread. Anyone else have input to this? I would also like to bottle 3-4 mason jars of my muscadine wine to give as gifts when it's finished.

This is an old one! Yes, mason jars are fine for any wine, incl. muscadine. Maybe ageing the wine in them would have issues, as ther is some largely not understood connection between small amts of air coming through the cork and well aged but unoxidized wine.

If your going to drink it within a year I wouldn't sweat it.

Are you going to seal them? If you are, I think they'd be ok. I'd rather have my wine in beer bottles than mason jars but if you like it that way and the lids are sealed, it would be ok at least short term.

Yeah, i'll bulk age in the carboy and when i'm ready to give as gifts, i'll bottle then. So they won't spend much time in the jars. The rest of the batch will be bottled in wine bottles as usual.

Thanks everyone!

Back