The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? Have you not watched ArsenalFanTV before?

It's ALWAYS gold, fam. They're rubbish, blood.

I love watching it after an important match. I remember one match those dudes got into fistycuffs
facepalm-smiley-emoticon_zpsmikxs6ld.gif

Eh. Morata didn't get one against Wet Spam. Calvert-Lewin didn't for the undeserved penalty won against Liverpool. The standards needed to hand one down are unreasonably high.

Although a second yellow send off for diving during Leicester/Crystal Palace was a welcome change.

Meanwhile, holy s*** Bristol City. I expect Manchester City will slaughter them in the semifinal, and I'll have a dilemma should they see promotion to the Premier League (which they might yet). But still. Nice to actually be able to watch them in the US for once.

one of my favorite times of the year is here - Gooner hater week :D - ok lately I don't hate on the gooners, I only laugh at them - sorta how I view spuds xD

One of those lovely days to watch the meltdown on ArsenalFanTV. Although I haven't seen anything that was particularly hilarious this time. Which is surprising...

Good for Nottingham Forest. They were very clearly the superior side. Double touch penalty that should have been retaken notwithstanding.

Good for Nottingham Forest. They were very clearly the superior side. Double touch penalty that should have been retaken notwithstanding.

The 2 time European Cup winners defeated a small club from North London xD

IMHO it wasn't a double touch on the 2nd pk today. It was the commentators trying to sell it.

this is why I love gooner fan tv xD - tbf I am seeing a lot of CFC now being hypercritical of the club - true 4 draws in the last 4 outings & 3 of them nil-nil, but still active in 3 comps - don't what has got into fans these days - expect immediate success - hell I remember on a Sacramento Republic Board peeps were complaining about not winning every match - even a friendly match vs The North American Champions Pachuca - I don't know, I guess we are heading to the Apocalypse :rolleyes:

Well, when you skirt FFP rules by funneling in money from outside sources to avoid operating in the red and thus spend with reckless abandon the way Chelsea, PSG, and Manchester City do, I'd be expecting immediate success too. That's a loophole that needs to be closed. And the big money clubs will go back to their historic mediocrity.

City finally falls. Liverpool earned it. As a neutral-ish watching (in practicality we won't catch City, likely none of us will, so LFC losing points probably would have been preferable for the other 4/6, but whatever), that was an incredibly exciting match. A scouser mate joked about winning by 4 goals and moving ahead of Man U. It was obviously a joke, until it looked like it could actually happen.

And maybe Wenger will finally get sacked. I hope not.

Well, when you skirt FFP rules by funneling in money from outside sources to avoid operating in the red and thus spend with reckless abandon the way Chelsea

You are sooo dead wrong it isn't even funny. Look I get it, you don't like CFC, but don't go about saying false stuff. Check the facts first!!!!

btw, I googled it & check this fact out from the 2016/17 season
  1. Chelsea Spent €199.9 | Received €199.6 | Net €0.3
  2. Tottenham Spent €93.1 | Received €102.1 | Net -€9.0
  3. Arsenal Spent €53.0 | Received €68.7 | Net -€15.7

Last edited:
Except that's not a balance of players incoming to outgoing. That's including all that other revenue in which the accounting slight of hand takes place.

Welp, City might be running away with the title but 2nd-4th are still very much up for grabs.

And despite Aubemayeng coming in to Arsenal, a loss of Sanchez, Giroud, and a loss to Swansea tells me Gunners are no longer in the cool kids club and it's now the Sky Five.

Also Spurs now hold the top two fastest goals in EPL history. The runup to Eriksen's 11 second opener, wow, even if in all fairness it should have been called back as Harry got a premature jump from kickoff. Second only to the one and only Ledley King's 9.9 seconds.

Oh, and Chelsea lost 0-3, so there's that.

We beat bindippers and they drop points again, Spurs jump to 3rd on the weekend.

Dunno what I'll do if my hometown Bristol City happen to make top flight for the first time in my lifetime, apart from rooting for the Robins as second horse behind Spurs.

I hope players I care about don't get injured. Extent of my interest. I'd get behind England (especially when it's 1/3 yiddo) but expect they'll disappoint and am not invested.

I'm honestly surprised as many Americans still care as they do. There was certainly some of the expected "what? Why isn't America in this? Then f*** this, i don't give a sh**", but less than I anticipated.

I'll be over here waiting for the league to start back up, and being the only London side in the Champions League.

Welp a deal that's been known to be a sure thing for some time is now officially a done deal.

Wayne Rooney to DC United.

Really helping the impression that MLS is a retirement league for washed up European has-beens.

At least it wasn't LA Galaxy.

Liverpool West woulda never let Rooney in.

In other news, Belgium look legit this World Cup. Finally playing like a team. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s games.

My local hosted a watch party for Columbia last Sunday. Holy moly! They won the match and that celebration lasted for a while. Cow bells, vuvuzelas, and the juke box was playing nothing but upbeat Latin party music. It was a beautiful thing.

A) FA Cup ... cute... B) As a Liverpool fan, Chelsea is bad. No explanation needed.
I'll remind him that the FA Cup also qualifies Chelski for Europa, just like their league placement. I suppose the FA Cup is the only reason Conte still has a job. I also expect now that Abramovich has essentially been bureaucratically kicked out of the UK the cash flow will stop (I expect he will sell the club in the not too distant future) and they'll sink back to mid table mediocrity where they belong.

As an anyone-but-Chelsea fan, Chelsea is bad.

Meanwhile I'll remind you the final difference in the table between Spurs and Liverpool can be directly attributed to VVD hacking Lamela in the hamstring and Kane converting the resulting PK.

(I mention the latter to a Liverpool supporting friend when I want him to stop talking to me for a week or two LMAO)

As an anyone-but-Chelsea fan, Chelsea is bad.

Meanwhile I'll remind you the final difference in the table between Spurs and Liverpool can be directly attributed to VVD hacking Lamela in the hamstring and Kane converting the resulting PK.

(I mention the latter to a Liverpool supporting friend when I want him to stop talking to me for a week or two LMAO)

To be fair, it was Lamela. We would all like to hack him down.

funny watchin' spuds & lolpool fans talk smack but no trophies to put into the cupboard last season - both sides played great though - I will give you two that fact but in the end dream again about winning something special xD

funny watchin' spuds & lolpool fans talk smack but no trophies to put into the cupboard last season - both sides played great though - I will give you two that fact but in the end dream again about winning something special xD

If you want to limit trophies to just last year sure, but Liverpool has a feewwwwww pieces of silver in their shelves.

Definitely can't fault Liverpool for lack of silverware (or fault Spurs folks angry that despite our growth and success we've still won f*** all in about a decade)

Now if only any of it was recent...

Well, I guess if the dearly departed is to be believed, 4th place is a kind of trophy.

if the dearly departed is to be believed, 4th place is a kind of trophy.

mtbu.gif

tbh I will miss le voyeur, Chelsea got some nice players from the gooners

Now about spudz winning something special, I will say winning at Stamford Bridge for the first time in 28 years is a start on the right track ;)

I don't care much about The 3 Lions, but I will give props to Jordan Pickford for this save - IMHO incredible state of mind to remain focus on this attempt

If the goaltending continues to be strong, you might be right.

Latest posts

Back