Blichmann auto-sparge mounting in cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Blichmann auto-sparge for my 10 gallon Igloo cooler. I don't want to drill a hole in the side of the cooler - I'd rather run a vertical pipe through the lid, or maybe through a piece of Plexiglas so I can see the liquid level while sparging - this would also make it easy to raise and lower the auto-sparge - just secure with a clamp on the top of the lid. I would either need to mount this with an elbow on the vertical pipe or mount the unit rotated 90 degrees from it's normal position and bend the arm on which the ball is mounted. I don't know the dimensions of the auto-sparge, so I don't know if the first option would fit in a 10 gallon cooler, and I don't know if I can make the auto-sparge work in a rotated position for the second option. This will be a gravity fed unit. Anyone ever tried something like this?

Bump.

Is there anyone who can answer this, or at least tell me the dimensions of the Blichmann auto-sparge? I need to know:

1. If it's mounted in a 10 gallon round cooler in the normal recommended manner, how much space is there between the float ball and the wall of the cooler. I need to see if I have enough clearance to mount this on a vertical pipe through the lid with an elbow.

2. Will the auto-sparge work if mounted on a vertical pipe at right angles to its normal orientation, with the arm to the float ball bent (or otherwise modified) to accomodate the 90 degree angle? This will be a gravity fed unit, so will not need to withstand pump pressure.

I am envisioning a cooler extension. Something that you would screw on to the cooler but still be able to screw the lid on. It would let all manner of devices be drilled through it.

I have a RIMS system hooked up to a 10 gallon round cooler and needed connections for recirculation. I use a 1x4 (actual dimensions are 0.75" by 3.5") and put it through the handle of the cooler. It is very snug in there and rests on the table too. You might be able to drill a hole in the wood and connect the autosparge to it. You could also adjust the height by sliding the wood up and down.

Just Take a 1x4 and put it through the handle of the cooler. I mounted a right angle with a barb to attach tubing for recirculation and a quick disconnect on the other side to attach my RIMS.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Latest posts

Back