Should I Be Concerned About This STUCK Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heatwaves

Reaction score
I've read a lot of the past threads on this topic and the consensus seems to be "just leave it alone" or add some dry yeast. But I'd like to know your thoughts on my specific situation.

I'm brewing a Bourbon Vanilla Cream Porter (basically NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter with the vanilla beans soaking in Maker's Mark for three months + 1 lb lactose + partial mash of oatmeal/specialty grains and minus the oak chips).

OG was 1.067. I used WLP028 Edinburgh yeast that has attenuation of 70-75%.

Based on the attenuation, FG should be between 1.017 - 1.020. However, I read that 1 lb lactose adds 0.006 to a 5 gallon batch. My batch is actually 6 gallons at the moment in the primary, so let's make it +0.005. That would mean my FG SHOULD be 1.022 - 1.025. Actual FG is 1.030.

I made a 1L yeast starter two days prior to brewing. Yeast took off only about 4 hours after pitching and was going absolutely bonkers the first two days. Then it completely appeared to die (weakly bubbled only once every 45 seconds). I took a hydrometer reading four days after pitching and the reading was 1.030. Not bad considering it had only been 4 days, but I also knew that it "seemed done."

I took another gravity reading today (one week after the previous reading and a total of 11 fermentation days). Gravity was still 1.030.

For the 5-6 days, I kept temps at 64 degrees, then bumped it up gradually to 70 degrees ever since. I've also agitated the carboy every other day to try to "rouse" the yeast. Lastly, I think know that it had been well oxygenated initially.

The brew tastes just fine, not overly sweet at all, so should I even be concerned? Should I attempt to "fix" this by adding some dry yeast? Should I try something else?

Many thanks, everyone.

If the beer tasted fine, I don't think I'd do anything. I don't think you have a stuck fermentation; rather, fermentation is complete.

Why does anyone add Lactose to beer?!? It should come with a warning.

Yes the lactose will add about .006 to 6 gallons.

1.030 is really sweet. If you like sweet, then OK, but for me I'd work on it or pour it down the drain.

I don't know enough about the beer to be able to tell you how to fix it, or if it is fixable.

What was the recipe?

Are you bottling or kegging? If it tastes ok, you like it and are kegging, then I would go for it. If you are really concerned it isn't done and are bottling, you might risk bombs.

Latest posts

Back