boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Bastard

Reaction score
I have a question about doing a late exctract addition.

do you stop the timer when you pull the pot off the flame to add the extract and resume it when the wort begins to boil again? (time spent not boiling doesn't count towards the 1 hour boil time?)
I assume it does but you know what happens when you assume.

Dont think it matters unless its like 5 min before it starts boiling again.But adding 5 min wont really hurt anything either

The boil time begins when you add your hops (after it's boiling). Before that you are steeping grains.

I was wondering the same thing after my last extract batch. I added my extra lme with 5 mins to go. I removed it from the heat for about 2.5 minutes while adding the lme. This time off the heat pluss the addition of the lme stopped the boil and it never got back to full boil in the remaining 2.5 mins. Did I do it the right way?

I was wondering the same thing after my last extract batch. I added my extra lme with 5 mins to go. I removed it from the heat for about 2.5 minutes while adding the lme. This time off the heat pluss the addition of the lme stopped the boil and it never got back to full boil in the remaining 2.5 mins. Did I do it the right way?

Alot of people add at flameout so i wouldnt worry about it.

Alot of people add at flameout so i wouldnt worry about it.

I guess it makes more sense to add the extra lme at flameout because it interrupts the boil. I probably effectively reduced my boil from a 60 minute boil to a 55 minute boil.

Back