Propane Regulator for 300,000 btu?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRags

Reaction score
I have a 300,000 btu propane burner on the way and I need a regulator. The only info I can find is that it requires "low pressure" propane.

Anyone know a good regulator that will supply enough gas to this burner? I have a 30 lb propane tank currently, and a few 15# for the other burners. I would imagine I need a much larger supply line, right?

Working on my 20 gallon setup, and this will be the kettle burner.

Thanks

Try Bayu Classics they have a bunch of diff style regs. they have a 30 psi that they use on theie 200,000 btu cooker.

30 psi is a high pressure unit. The standard used to be 20 but they recently reduced it to 10 due to all the dinks that set their houses on fire with turkey fryers.

Looks like you need a 2 stage regulator for LP gas, here are couple links for 2 stage regulators.
http://www.meeder.com/cat0401.pdf
http://www.meeder.com/cat0414.pdf
Check with a local RV parts supplier to see if they have the 2 stage regulators with the 300K btu ratings on the shelf. If you have a high pressure regulator you could use a second stage type regulator after the high pressure regulator if you kept the high pressure regulator set below 10 PSI.

kladue said:
Looks like you need a 2 stage regulator for LP gas, here are couple links for 2 stage regulators.
http://www.meeder.com/cat0401.pdf
http://www.meeder.com/cat0414.pdf
Check with a local RV parts supplier to see if they have the 2 stage regulators with the 300K btu ratings on the shelf. If you have a high pressure regulator you could use a second stage type regulator after the high pressure regulator if you kept the high pressure regulator set below 10 PSI.

That second link you provided has a 2-stage regulator for a 350,000 btu output rating, but supply's 2 psi....

By "low pressure" on the burner, what pressure is really required?

Thanks

Low pressure Lp gas pressure is nominaly 11"Wc /.40 psi and natural gas residential pressure is 4" Wc / .148 psi. most of the second stage regulators are factory set for 11" Wc and are usually adjustable + - 2" Wc. I am in error on the inlet pressure for second stage regulators, manufacturer wants no more than 2 PSI on the inlet not 10 PSI as stated above.

I have a 250 gallon propane tank and I need to know what regulator I need for a 340,000 BTU 20 KW Kohler generator the lines gonna run about 26 to 28 foot and how big the line needs to be I’m sure it’s about 3/4 to run that far

I have a 250 gallon propane tank and I need to know what regulator I need for a 340,000 BTU 20 KW Kohler generator the lines gonna run about 26 to 28 foot and how big the line needs to be I’m sure it’s about 3/4 to run that far
Mind, you've posting this on a homebrew forum, we're making beer, wine, mead, etc.
This thread is about a regulator for a propane burner to heat a (brew) kettle.

I doubt we can answer your question re: your generator requirements.

30 psi is a high pressure unit. The standard used to be 20 but they recently reduced it to 10 due to all the dinks that set their houses on fire with turkey fryers.
That seems like a misguided reaction considering that the bulk of those fires have nothing to do with the propane other than it being used to heat the oil. I wonder who's knee-jerk reaction that was?

Hahaha! One never knows what Google will send our way here :D

fwiw, we just had our ancient 30 gallon propane tank replaced with a modern 60 gallon unit, because of code changes in our state:
can't have a propane tank on a deck, can't be located within 10 feet of anything considered an "ignition source" which includes any electric outlet or hard-wired device - like a GFI outlet or a mini-split compressor, can't be located within 5 feet of a window or door, etc. Also, must use a dual-stage regulator.

Our old tank was on our lower level deck, right next to a window to my workshop, and within 3 feet of a GFI outlet - using a single stage regulator.
"Yer OUT!" :D

Beyond basic code requirements there is a handbook - that's likely been turned into an on-line calculator - that will determine the pipe size needed based on piping type, device load(s), distance, and elbows. Might be worth looking for same, but otoh, if code requires a licensed tech to install gas lines, the tech will figure it all out...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back