Fermentaion "profile"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
This is absolutely the best forum around...

So another question: I have been doing some searches and it seems like some homebrewers increase the temperature towards the end of the active fermentation to stimulate the yeast to "finish the job."

I am in day three of active fermentation of my bourbon old ale; the activity in the airlock is beginning to slow. I have been keeping the temps in the 60-65 degree range. Is there any value - or harm - in increasing this to 70?

It is usually a good idea to ramp up the temperature of your fermentation a bit toward the end of fermentation to keep the yeast active and cleaning up any undesireable by-products. So the quick and dirty answer is, yes, there is some value in increasing temperature slightly from your initial fermentation temp as things slow down. Ususally that is after 3 or 4 days of activity.

However, if I don't say it, someone else will... Your airlock is not the best way to judge fermentation. It is an indicator, but it's main purpose (which I am sure you know) is to keep anything that may infect your beer out of your fermetation vessel while releasing pressure from CO2. If you want the most accurate gage of how your ferment is progressing, use a hydrometer.

Back