Soda Newbie...How to make and keg a Root Beer..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 8 yr old daughter said she wants some Root Beer and I said I'd make it. She always gets what she wants!! I just want a simple creamy root beer, reminiscent of A&W Root Beer. I would plan to dispense from one of my corny kegs. I will still do some reading, but needed a kickstarter... Thanks all!!

My 8 yr old daughter said she wants some Root Beer and I said I'd make it. She always gets what she wants!! I just want a simple creamy root beer, reminiscent of A&W Root Beer. I would plan to dispense from one of my corny kegs. I will still do some reading, but needed a kickstarter... Thanks all!!

My favorite root beer was simple- McCormick root beer extract, following the package directions and it was cheap! When my kids were young, they loved the extract syrup by Sprecher that I bought at northern brewer.

One thing that I forgot to mention before. Soda is more highly carbed than beer, so you definitely need a second regulator. I kept mine at 30 psi at 40 degrees, and that was perfect, but it needs far more serving line at 30 psi than your average beer. 25-30' of 3/16" beer line is not too much! I got mine from McMaster-Carr for 15 cents a foot.

Welp, I made the Root Beer with extract from the LHBS and it was a hit!! Neighbors liked it, SWMBO liked it and my kids did too....and its gone now. Gonna make it again, or possibly try my hand at carbonated flavored water.:mug:

I use a site called homemadesoda.com they have a number of great extracts 3 root beer ones, an orange soda (I add vanilla so it tastes like a dreamcicle Popsicle) sasparilla are my favs.

What extract brand was it? I like McCormick. You can get it at the grocery store. I just told my daughter we'd make a new batch.

What's the diff between the different flavors - #1, #2, etc.?

Not sure if the OP is still wanting info on this but here is my input.

1. If you're looking for something really easy and fast, even kid friendly, extracts are the way to go. I tried an extract once, followed the directions to a T and it was awful. It may be that I didn't try the "good" kind, so I do keep an eye out to see what people are using and enjoying. I may give it another shot for those times that I get an itch and have no time to brew up a batch.

2. In regards to A&W, my wife is a HUGE fan of A&W, as am I, but duplicating it I feel is impossible. Not sure if anyone else has had any luck, but when I inquired about it I was given a list that looked more like a science experiment than a recipe. I am still planning to work on a recipe that will not only have the body, but that strong vanilla flavor. Those are the two things I love about A&W.

A couple of things I have learned recently in my soda making endeavors. I have a 4 tap kegerator and decided to make one tap full time soda.

1 - I buy my extracts from http://homemadesodacompany.com/ and I have loved every one I have tried.

2 - Instead of dumping in sugar with the extract into a keg, I actually make a simple syrup with the sugar and then dump that into the keg. I've found that it mixes a lot better and I don't have sugar settling in the soda.

3 - I took advice from another thread and put the soda to 30 PSI full time and on a 20 ft beverage line. It still comes out fast but the carbonation is pretty spot on. I am considering switching to a 30 ft line to slow the pour. I am also never going to use that line for anything but soda.

Latest posts

Back