Widow Maker Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I've read through this whole thread, and I have to say, I am VERY excited to try brewing this beer! We've even had feedback from someone who's actually made it.

I can't wait to try brewing my own Widowmaker clone!

There's just one catch: I have never, in my life, brewed anything ever before.

I see all these notes about quantities of this and of that and of yeast and of time and of temperature -- but at this point, only BadDeacon has claimed to have made anything and (Sorry BadDeacon, you said it yourself that you don't take very good notes) I have yet to see a concise, complete recipe that I can understand.

You know with steps, ingredients, times, temps... dumbed down for someone like me to be able to attempt this as my first-ever beer. And perhaps that is just asking for trouble.

I'm game to try All-Grain, I'm game for anything so long as it sets me on the right path to make a Widowmaker clone! BadDeacon can you please tell us all *exactly* what you used, and how you did it. Expain it to me like it's my first time brewing (it is!).

Will do. I might take me a week or so to write it up. I lucked out and had some co workers bring me a 6er back from houghton last month. I also have a 6er if my last batch left. Gonna do some side by side tasting notes this weekend.

Deacon.

Ok... Am in process of doing a side by side but I have had a few prior to starting.

First tasting notes are about the same between the two. But back through the thread, I believe this batch is low on the abv. I'll double check my recipe. The clone does have a tad heVier mouthfeel though. Not sure how to correct that. Maybe a longer mash or some rice adjuncts.

Ok... Am in process of doing a side by side but I have had a few prior to starting.

First tasting notes are about the same between the two. But back through the thread, I believe this batch is low on the abv. I'll double check my recipe. The clone does have a tad heVier mouthfeel though. Not sure how to correct that. Maybe a longer mash or some rice adjuncts.

There are no adjuncts in the Widowmaker. Mash around 152-153 for 75 minutes, and that should be adequate.

Tiber,

Heard Lake Superior is a lot higher this summer. Like 16 inches!!!!

I mashed @ 152 for 60 then mashed out @ 170 for 15. I'll lengthen the 152.

Yeah, the Big Lake is up this year, which is good. It's causing some to modify their docks built within the last two years, though.

How are you measuring your mash temp, and is that tool calibrated? Some thermometers can be off by 4-8F right from the factory. A 75 minute mash at 152 should help that beer attenuate as it should.

Last weekend I made a batch following the recipe and guidelines (roughly) that BadDeacon laid out.

Here is what I did (my recipe/my notes and pictures):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x0JTMmfV_R8UqD6nV7LDsL0k8ftpNGHtjp9YJwRyQRk/pub

Will get some real WM in Houghton in late August for comparison. Only 4 days into ferment so far!

For those paying attention, yes, that's the MTU logo on the shirt. "I Survived Semester Conversion at Michigan Tech"

For those paying attention, yes, that's the MTU logo on the shirt. "I Survived Semester Conversion at Michigan Tech"

My wife and I are both Tech alum. She was one of the few who actually benefited from the trimester to semester conversion. She was able to graduate in 3.5 years as a result. Most people I know weren't that fortunate.

Today was bottling day! I don't have any WM to compare to so I'll be holding off on commenting on how close I got.

This was my first batch of beer ever. It was All-Grain. It was very fun to jump right in and start on something like this.

:tank:

Xobes,

How did it turn out?? I have a buddy here that wants to add coffee to this and see how it turns out.

Debating on 1 10 gal batch and adding coffee to half.

Deacon.

So I've made a couple batches so far, both were good (drinkable at least).

First was
9# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt, Lovibond 1.8
12oz Weyermann Carafa II (Dehusked), Lovibond 375-488
4oz Chocolate Malt, Lovibond 350

This one was VERY dark. Not a 'clone'. Also had a phenolic infection (per an expert taste test). I suspect that it might have been due to suck-back when I chilled the wort in the primary with the blow-off tube installed... Don't do that. (This was my first batch ever).

My 2nd attempt was:
9.5# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt, Lovibond 1.8
4oz Weyermann Carafa II (Dehusked), Lovibond 375-488
4oz Chocolate Malt, Lovibond 350

This one I tasted along side some real Widowmaker. Mine was a little drier, and less sweetness. I suspect because I wasn't matching the 94% light, 2.5% black, 3.5% chocolate (per the sheet at the bar in Houghton) So my next batch I will try to bump UP the chocolate a little.

My next attempt will be:

9.25# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt, Lovibond 1.8
8oz Chocolate Malt, Lovibond 350

or perhaps

9.375# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt, Lovibond 1.8
6oz Chocolate Malt, Lovibond 350

BadDeacon -- Adding coffee, IMO, will make this less like the widowmaker than it already is, and 12 oz is (while not bad tasting) already too much as compared to the real deal.

10-4 thanks for the notes!

Adding the coffee would be an experiment. A local coffee roaster wanted to try his coffee in one of my beers and we thought this would be interesting brew to try it with.

I've read through this whole thread, which has been fantastically helpful so far. Widow Maker is really great stuff, always puts a smile on my face.

My dad just asked me to make him a batch of beer, and he would cover the whole cost. He capital-L LOVES Widow Maker, so I figured I could try to clone it and maybe drop in some Crown Royal. The problem is, it looks like the bugs have been worked out in this thread for a BIAB setup. I noticed that the original query was to help with an extract recipe-- would that original light DME and LME list do the trick with some black patent and chocolate steeped? I know y'all have said that it would be tough to clone with an extract recipe. I just don't have the time or equipment for BIAB.

I'll also have some Safale-04 from the Xmas ale I'm fermenting right now. It has me wondering how different it might taste compared to the WLP.

Alright! Gonna finally do the split batch with half coffee experiment I mentioned a year ago! I have actually moved next door to the Coffee Roaster. We are planning on doing this sometime soon.

So, Back to the original ratios:

95% Pale
2% Black
3% Chocolate
1.75# per Gallon.

Since I like round numbers and do BIAB, for a 11 Gal Batch:

20# Pale
0.5# Black
0.5# Chocolate
4 oz Willamette for 60.

Since I buy specialty malts in half pound increments.....

Any Thoughts???? I am also gonna enter this into my first ever comp in November!:mug:

I finished up school at Tech in Dec 2014, and had to move to Mississippi for work. I have been craving Widowmaker for a while now. Looks like I'll be brewing this next to see if I can come close! I'll be sure to post recipe and results.

Alright guys Ive been scouring the net for this clone! great write up!! My dad and family are from Gladstone Im stuck down in Louisiana every time I visit the first thing I buy is WidowMaker!!! Me and my buddy have been all graining for a year now this will be our next batch for sure. Any one got a good grain bill for it, I got XODES write up Ill be bouncing off that for the first batch!

Our oldest son graduated from Michigan tech. We got hooked on Widowmaker when we were up visiting. It gets distributed down here in Central Wisconsin now.

I came looking for the clone though because I want to do it myself.

Latest posts

Back