Midwest Porter kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeh80

Reaction score
Hey all, while waiting for my shipment from Midwest to get here (due Wed), I decided to look over the directions again to make sure I'm squared away on what I need to do. The kit comes with an ounce each of Fuggles and Willamette hops, and says to use the Willamettes for the bittering. This seems backwards, as calculations seem to put the IBU around 11.6 with the 4 gallon boil I'm planning on doing. My pot is 5.25 gallons, and I don't feel quite comfortable with that little headspace, especially not for my first batch. So my question is, should I just follow the additions as they're printed, or should I switch the two additions out? Thanks.

Fuggles are primarily an aroma hop. Kits are made to follow them. They have had success with the recipe as is.

I agree with the other posters - Williamette is better suited for bittering than Fuggles. You typically see Fuggles as a subtle, UK type aroma or flavor hop, but rarely (never?) for bittering.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a misprint in the instructions, since the calculated IBU seemed a bit low.

Back