Best place to store bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuixoticDevice

Reaction score
So, I've just bottled my first non-kit batch using my homegrown hops. The hydrometer sample from bottling tasted pretty good so I'm hoping it'll turn out alright, but I have something of a conundrum: I generally want to store them around 65-75 F, but, due to recent weather, my basement is sitting at a fairly constant 60-61 F and my main floor is fluctuating between 80 and 85 F. There's no real middle ground to be found. My question is, should I just let it sit at 60F for longer than usual or is there a decent way that I could keep it upstairs at a reasonable temperature?
My gut reaction is to let it sit in the cooler temperature for longer, but I've got the first meeting of the homebrew club that my friends and I are putting together in three weeks, so I'd like to have some of it ready for consumption by then.
I've been thinking of the possibility of keeping them in a cooler on the main floor with a little water, checking often, and adding a handful of ice cubes if it starts to get out of the 65-75F range. Would that be stable enough for proper carbonation?
Any thoughts from anyone? It's sitting on Windsor yeast, if that influences things significantly.

let it sit upstairs for a day or two, then cellar them. 3 weeks is a little short, depending on how much hops, but, hey, go for it.

70ish is ideal for carbonating. I'd leave them upstairs in a cool corner or closet or something for a week, and then move them to the basement. 61 is great for long term storage, but they will carb slower.

Back