Feedback on my first extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenbrau

Reaction score
I've just finished an Irish Red (which turned out extremely good despite screwing up the recipe with too much malt), and my wife would like to make a brew for the ladies. I've compiled the recipe below. With your guys' experiences, are there any recommendations you would make or anything you would change?

It will be a basic Hefeweizen utilizing passion fruit in the secondary.

Alex's Wheat

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.1 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 6 pounds
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.041
Final gravity 1.011
Alcohol (by volume) 3.9%
Bitterness (IBU) 19
Color (SRM) 5.1°L
Yeast
2 liquid packs
Wyeast
3333 German Wheat

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
6 pounds
Liquid Malt - Wheat
34ppg, 5°L 6 pounds
100%

Hops
1 ounce
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce

Mash
60 minutes, 6.1 gallons

Boil
60 minutes, 6.1 gallons
Hallertauer hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)

Ferment
14 days @ 63-75°F

Fairly basic. A few things...

1.) You probably don't need two packs of yeast for a beer this light. One will do just fine.

2.) Do you know the wheat/2-row percentage of your malt extract? It should say somewhere on the can/bottle. The reason I ask is that you don't really want to use 100% wheat. Something that's 50/50 or 60/40 would be perfect. I'm not too familiar with wheat extracts, so I'm not sure if they all come mixed like this, or if they do in fact sell 100% wheat.

Thanks for the feedback =)

I used Brew Pal on the iPhone to put together the recipe, so it threw in a few things that are unnecessary. I built a stir plate and always use a starter for my yeast, I don't know why it would recommend two packs (overkill). The LME I'm using is a 65/35 blend of wheat and pale malt from Northern Brewer. Thank you again for helping me out, you'll make the wife quite happy!

Latest posts

Back