Grain Date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
I just travelled 75 miles to purchase a 55 lbs of Munton's UK 2-row. When I got home, i noticed the dates....produced: 04/02/08 and best by end of Feb 2009. Do you think that it would still be ok to use over the next few months if stored properly or should I drive back that far to exchange....
Lesson learned...check everything prior to purchase!
Thx

as long as its not milled already i wouldn't worry. I just opened a sack of grain I bought last august. it converted no problem.

Ya as long as it is not Milled you should be fine! i Have used grain Sevral months past a Date and was Fine with negative problems!

If it was milk that you drove 75 miles for you wouldn't have to post for an answer, you would already know.

If I knew and trusted the LHBS that was storing the grain I would be OK with some post aged grain, but I would not pay full price for a past it's due date product.

If I had no clue how the shop stored it grain, it would be going back with a severe amount of bitching to cover the 75 mile trip.

I may be crazy, but unless that was clearly marked on the bargain bin, you have a right to feel slighted and should complain to the shop.

Back