How long should I ferment? OG 1.061

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franzi

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading the endless wisdom on these forums for a while now, but never posted...till now.

I generally make hefes but decided I'd play around and go for an ale with a little kick to it. The OG of my 5gallon batch was 1.061. Not familiar with brewing anything more than 5% alcohol, how long would you pros out there recommend I ferment this bad boy?

Should I let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks? Does it need more time since the alcohol content is higher?

Thank you all in advance,

Franzi(skaner)

As long as it needs. In other words it depends. If you pitch a lot of healthy yeast and oxygenate it well, it could be done with primary ferment in a couple of days. Or it could take a month if you didn't. Best thing to do is keep the temp in the yeasts optimum range and wait until it clears and your readings are steady for three days.

I tend to leave everything in for 10-14 days then move it to a keg. Usually primary ferment is done by day 5. The rest of the time it is just clearing and the yeast are cleaning up any ferment by products.

All else being equal, higher OG means longer ferments. But, 1.060 shouldn't add more than a day or two.

Back