Hard water but want to do 1st AG suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rra24403

Reaction score
I am wanting to start my 1st AG soon I finally got all my equipment and now I am concerned with my well water being hard or at least very high in Alkalinty about 240.

I have been reading that pislners need soft water but darker beers don't.
I perfer darker beers so thats really not a problem to me, but family wants a pilsner, lager type beer, like Grolsch or Heineken.

By the way I see people suggesting to make German Kolsch on some threads I am not sure if this is the same as Grolsch or not?
Thanks

FYI - You probably ought to delete this post from the recipe database section and repost under one of the normal topic forums.

Grolsch is a brand name for a Dutch Lager and Koslch is a German style light Ale that has pilsner charachteristics.

If you're worried about the hardness of your water for light ales and pilsners, just buy 6-7 gallons of bottled water. Generally less than a $1 per gallon.

You'll want the hard water for your stouts.

Just use some pH 5.2 buffer and you should be fine, regardless of what style you're brewing. BTW - our water here is even more alkaline - 373 residual alkalinity.
eek2.gif

Edit - my comments above apply to you really getting started. Don't sweat it too much. Get your process down, etc. Then if you really want to match water profiles later on, you can get as complicated as you want with it. The buffer just makes things easier for you. I guess some people have reported a slight flavor change, but I can't taste a thing.

rra24403 said:
I am wanting to start my 1st AG soon I finally got all my equipment and now I am concerned with my well water being hard or at least very high in Alkalinty about 240.

I have been reading that pislners need soft water but darker beers don't.
I perfer darker beers so thats really not a problem to me, but family wants a pilsner, lager type beer, like Grolsch or Heineken.

By the way I see people suggesting to make German Kolsch on some threads I am not sure if this is the same as Grolsch or not?
Thanks

I have very alkaline water (lots of carbonate). I noticed some astringency in my beer with very light grain bills. I have a very pale brew in my secondary now, but with this batch I used pH5.2 by Five Star Chemicals. I've only tasted it at racking, so I can't say how this helped. I'd be happy to post back in a few weeks.

But in theory, for a very light grain bill and very alkaline water, the mash pH will be too high, possibly extracting tannins from the grain husks. Darker brews don't have this problem b/c darker grains acidify the mash. The pH 5.2 stuff is a food grade acid that lowers mash pH.

Some people use brewing salts, I don't because the amount of calcium I would need to add to my mash is too high.........I'd be adding too much sulfate and/or chloride.

Those are my thoughts....good luck.

Thanks Lil' Sparky and Uwmgdman.
Sounds like if I do a lighter beer I'll be looking into the pH 5.2 buffer. I had read that it does cause extracting of tannins. I'll check with my local brew house supply but how much and when do I add the pH 5.2 buffer if I deside to try a pilsner or light one?
Thanks
uwmgdman
I would be interested in how yours comes out as it maybe a few weeks before I get around to a lighter brew.
thanks again Randy

No problem, I'll post in about 3 weeks or so. As far as use, it says on the container, I think ~1 tablespoon for a 5 gallon batch.

rra24403 said:

A Kolsch is a German ale characterized as light, dry and medium hopped.

thanks I realized after I posted this that I was under the wrong pick.
I am very new with this site and I don't see where to delete it,
Thanks for anwsering my questions.
I did post this under All grains and got some answer there about my water.

rra24403 said:
Sounds like if I do a lighter beer I'll be looking into the pH 5.2 buffer. I had read that it does cause extracting of tannins.
Interesting. I've never heard that, but I do know that if your pH is too high you will extract tannins. That's why light beers w/ alkaline water turn out astringent.

BierMuncher, I checked out and printed your Krispy Kolsch.

It looks like what the ladies around the house are looking for.
Anything you would change on the receipe? Also the yeast is a top Ale yeast right?
Thanks again

Back