Cider Pasteurization Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbeck

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads on but none get the questions I have. I'm come from a more technical home culinary background, and one of the tools I use frequently is a thermal immersion circulator. It allows me to heat a water bath to a very precise temperature (within .2C) and hold it there indefinitely. Most of the government food safety guidelines give the temperature at which foods are safe if heated to for one second. However, I know can safely pasteurize milk by heating it to 145F for 30 minutes and holding chicken at 135 for 75 minutes. I believe most things can be pasteurized at any temp above 131F if given a long enough time.

So What I'm looking for is some sort of time/temperature chart for yeast. I think it would be much easier to just heat up my water bath in a tub, and drop in the bottles and let them sit for a few hours than trying to fiddle with a stove or dishwasher.

I had this same question a few months back but didn't get any luck with feedback at the time. I was also wondering about acetobacter temp vs time chart to help avoid cider turning into vinegar.

I've seen a lot of threads on but none get the questions I have. I'm come from a more technical home culinary background, and one of the tools I use frequently is a thermal immersion circulator. It allows me to heat a water bath to a very precise temperature (within .2C) and hold it there indefinitely. Most of the government food safety guidelines give the temperature at which foods are safe if heated to for one second. However, I know can safely pasteurize milk by heating it to 145F for 30 minutes and holding chicken at 135 for 75 minutes. I believe most things can be pasteurized at any temp above 131F if given a long enough time.

So What I'm looking for is some sort of time/temperature chart for yeast. I think it would be much easier to just heat up my water bath in a tub, and drop in the bottles and let them sit for a few hours than trying to fiddle with a stove or dishwasher.

Yes, I agree.

161 F for 3 minutes.

190 F for 30 seconds.

212 F for 1 second.

Take you pick! But remember that the interior of the bottles need to reach that temp, not just the exteriors. :)

What I'm wondering though is can you go lower than 161F? What about 145F for 30 minutes? Or 135F for 75 minutes? I know both of those will kill E Coli. But will they kill the yeast?

One of the main reasons I'm asking is that I prefer bottling in PET bottles, but I don't know how hot they can handle.

You need to reach somewhere around 140-150 in the bottles to reliably kill the yeast.

Latest posts

Back