ABV adjustment for Hazelnut Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorgeIsKing

Reaction score
So, I'm going to be turning the Hex Nut Brown Ale I brewed last week into a Hazelnut Brown Ale. To add the flavor, I was going to use 5 oz of Torani Hazelnut Syrup that I picked up from a coffee shop.

Since this is pretty much just Hazelnut flavored sugar, this is going to throw my gravity off. Anybody know of a way to adjust for this and figure out what my ABV would be for this beer?

Since you have it with you, why don't you take a gravity measurement of it and post it on the board so that people can find it when they search for this later? I'm sure they all have about the same sugar content (except for the sugar free ones obviously).

If it's too thick, then make a dilution of say, 1 oz syrup in 9 oz of water, take a measurement of that, and then multiply it by 10. Multiply this number by 5 because you're adding 5 oz. It's probably mainly sucrose so I would assume that it would ferment completely, so if you use a brewing program like beersmith just add it into your OG and see what it gives you based on your FG.

If the SG is higher than your OG, then it will raise the ABV a little, and if it's lower then it will dilute your ABV slightly. Either way, I wouldn't think that it would be that much for a 5 oz addition.

Thanks for the information.

I got a gravity reading of 1.200 for the syrup and was able to get an alternate OG by using the Dilution Tool in Beersmith.

That will raise your gravity by .0015 (in 5 gallons).
If totally fermented, that will add about 0.13% ABV.

Back