Why is this B3 kettle 8 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripkings

Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy a new kettle and the B3 looks like a good choice for my needs.

Only I think the one I want is the one not listed in between the 8gal and the 15gal...

What's with 8 gal but no 10 gal? :confused:

I suppose I can continue to use Fermcap like I'm doing for 4 gal batches in a 5 gal kettle but it would be nice if I'm buying a new kettle anyway to get more space than just boiling 7 gals (allowing for boil off and dead space) in an 8 gal kettle.....same small margin of error I'm dealing with now.

By the way does anybody know what kind of dead space the B3 kettle has? Maybe if it's not too much there is some gain to be had on pre boil volume needed to net a 5 gals in the fermentor. My last kettle with a drain was a keggle and I left about a gallon in it with hop trub and so on. Maybe the flat bottom and a bazooka screen will allow starting with something like 6.5 gallons rather than 7...

So I guess I'm just curious about others using the B3 8 gal kettle and how it's working out for full 5 gals in the fermentor for you.

I like the way the More beer one is welded better.

I think it's streamlined the way the screen threads straight in on the inside and the male threads on the outside should be a little more compact.

What is even more odd as I look into it is that they do have a 9 gallon economy kettle...I'd even go for this size. It just seems like the size is pushing the limit and the 15 gal is way bigger than I want.

I have the 8 in the shopping cart but I'm just staring at it wishing it was 10 or even the 9. Feels strange that the choices are 8 or 15 and (I'm guessing) 5 gallon batches are the most common size of brews.

Maybe I'm wrong and 8 is a great size but for whatever reason I'm feeling like it's just slightly small.

We have access to those fittings. You can buy the same kettles from Instawares.com and have a local welder put them in.

The Kettle you are looking for is an Update International SPS-40 several stores carry it but beware the shipping cost.

MoreBeer used to weld them in house but now buys them with the ports already welded on in China.

P1010667.jpg

If you're doing 5 gallon batches, I think you're right to question if an 8 gallon pot will be enough.

I do 5 gallon batches with the update international 10 gallon pot and for the times I do a 90 minute boil, I'll collect as much as 7.5 gallons of preboil for a 5.5 gallon batch.... Would be tough to do in an 8 gallon pot. If anything get the 15 gallon -> plenty of room for both 5 and 10 gallon batches. My .02

We have access to those fittings. You can buy the same kettles from Instawares.com and have a local welder put them in.

The Kettle you are looking for is an Update International SPS-40 several stores carry it but beware the shipping cost.

MoreBeer used to weld them in house but now buys them with the ports already welded on in China.

P1010667.jpg

1+ For one hoppy guy as well, I had him put together a 15 gallon mash tun for me and I love it. I am waiting to get a HLT from him as well. The best part of badass brew stands is that you can put the fittings anywhere you wish rather than where they already have them. Let me know and I can post some pictures of the work.

Chromados

If you're doing 5 gallon batches, I think you're right to question if an 8 gallon pot will be enough.

I do 5 gallon batches with the update international 10 gallon pot and for the times I do a 90 minute boil, I'll collect as much as 7.5 gallons of preboil for a 5.5 gallon batch.... Would be tough to do in an 8 gallon pot. If anything get the 15 gallon -> plenty of room for both 5 and 10 gallon batches. My .02

I second this. I use a 9 gal. and it iz tight. I will not replace it with anything much under 15 gallon, 10 would help, but for 90 minute boils still small.

Oh man...I'm on stovetop right now and a 15gal pot is going to be a freak show.

I could get a burner but I've grown pretty used to indoor brewing. Electric is more work than I want to think about right now because my keezer build will be starting next week.

15 gal...really?

Stovetop a 15 gallon might be an issue. You can certainly get by with smaller, I do ok with a 9 gallon and others with even smaller.

I get by with an 8 pot just fine, I do employ fermcap though. Nothing wrong with making the wort a little more concentrated then diluting to volume with water when you go into the fermentor. I'd think a 15gal pot might not heat well on a stovetop, although if it covers two burners it might work.

I also have a 20gal kettle for 15gal batches and its a tight fit at times as well.

After much debate I decided to go with the More Beer 8 gal pot.

I'm testing it with water now to boil 6.5 gals and looking at it I think I'm fine with Fermcap. And this is probabbly the biggest pot I can get on my stovetop.

Going any bigger would put me outside and I totally love indoor brewing.

I'll do a full brew soon for a real test of potential boilovers and such but all things considered it would have been nice to get this pot in 9 gal but it is built like a tank and I think the 8 is going to work for me.

I have that kettle, its a nice one. Fermcap makes 7gal possible. I use it inside with a 1800W induction hotplate. Just enough energy to get a boil, I use some insulation around the pot to help it get to temp faster. Not all SS pots are magnetic, this one is.

I have that kettle, its a nice one. Fermcap makes 7gal possible. I use it inside with a 1800W induction hotplate. Just enough energy to get a boil, I use some insulation around the pot to help it get to temp faster. Not all SS pots are magnetic, this one is.

Lennie - how long does it take your induction plate to get to a boil?

Back